About This Chapter
Financial Statements, Taxes & Cash Flow - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Our experienced instructors will take you through the financial documents used by companies to record their financial performance over a given period and issues related to tax rates and cash flow. The videos can be reviewed as often as necessary, and you can search them topic-by-topic with our interactive timeline feature. At the end of this chapter, you will know about:
- Balance sheet basics
- Income sheet basics
- The corporate tax
- Marginal tax rates
- Average tax rates
- Cash flow calculation
|The Balance Sheet: Purpose, Components & Format||Learn about the structure of the balance sheet.|
|Preparing the Basic Income Statement and Statement of Retained Earnings||Discuss generally accepted accounting practices and the income statement.|
|Corporate Tax Rate: Definition, Formula||Discover corporate taxes.|
|What is a Marginal Tax Rate? - Definition, History & Quiz||Study marginal tax rates.|
|Average Tax Rate: Definition, Formula & Quiz||Explain average tax rates.|
|What Is Cash Flow? - Definition, Calculation & Example||Look into the calculation of cash flow from various assets.|
1. The Balance Sheet: Purpose, Components & Format
There are four financial reports that make up a group known as the financial statements. We will take a walk with one of those reports - the balance sheet - and learn what it is, what items are included on it and what its role in the group is.
2. Preparing the Basic Income Statement and Statement of Retained Earnings
Preparing financial statements can be tricky. In this lesson, we are going to talk about how to prepare the first two basic financial statements: the income statement and the statement of retained earnings.
3. Corporate Tax Rate: Definition & Formula
In this lesson, we'll define corporate tax rates and explore how to calculate corporate tax based on a formula. You'll also learn about the United States' graduated tax system and look at examples to fully grasp the concepts discussed.
4. What is a Marginal Tax Rate? - Definition & History
Most Western countries use tax brackets and marginal tax rates as the basis of their tax code. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of marginal tax rate and its history in the United States.
5. Average Tax Rate: Definition & Formula
Knowing the average tax rate in a progressive tax system is useful in understanding your tax burden. In this lesson, you'll learn about the average tax rate, related concepts, and how to calculate it. A short quiz follows.
6. What Is Cash Flow? - Definition, Calculation & Example
Companies can't function without sufficient cash flow. In this lesson, you'll learn what cash flow is and how to calculate it, and you'll be provided some examples. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Finance 101: Principles of Finance course
- Introduction to Corporate Finance
- Financial Statement Basics
- Long-Term Financial Planning & Growth
- Introduction to Valuation Methods
- Discounted Cash Flow Valuation
- Interest Rates & Bond Valuation
- Stock Valuation
- Net Present Value & Investment Basics
- Capital Investment Decisions
- Accounting Risk & Return
- Return, Risk, & the Security Market Line
- Options & Corporate Finance
- Cost of Capital
- Financial Leverage & Capital Structure
- Dividends & Dividend Policy
- Short-Term Financing & Planning
- Cash & Liquidity Management
- Credit & Inventory Management
- International Corporate Finance
- Studying for Finance 101