About This Chapter
Financial Statements - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Accounting is much more than just adding and subtracting numbers. There are various documents that must be kept and different figures that must be worked with. It is essential that the person doing the accounting work understands all the forms, vocabulary and numbers that he or she is working with. In this chapter, our lessons will introduce you to financial statements that are used in financial accounting. You will get to study these various statements to learn what they look like and how they are used. Some of the things you can expect to learn about include:
- The purpose of financial statements
- The components of an income statement
- The format of a balance sheet
- Key principles of accounting
- The purpose of an external audit
- How to prepare financial statements
|What Are the Financial Statements? - Definition, Purpose & Importance||Learn about the purpose and importance of financial statements in business.|
|The Balance Sheet: Purpose, Components & Format||Explore the purpose and components of the balance sheet.|
|What Is an Income Statement? - Purpose, Components & Format||Examine the purpose and components of the income statement.|
|The Statement of Cash Flows: Purpose, Format & Examples||Discover the purpose and components of the statement of cash flows.|
|The Purpose of Notes on Financial Statements||Learn about the purpose of notes made on financial statements.|
|How To Prepare Basic Financial Statements||Study how to prepare basic financial statements.|
|External Audits of Financial Statements||Find out about the purpose of having an external audit of financial statements.|
|The Fundamental Principles of Accounting||Take a look at several key principles of accounting, including objectivity, assumption of an arm's length transactions, cost, going-concern, monetary measurement concept, revenue recognition, and separate entity principles.|
1. What Are Financial Statements? - Definition, Purpose & Importance
Financial statements are big players in the world of accounting. In this lesson, you will be introduced to each of the financial statements. You will also learn what their role is in the accounting industry, who they are important to and why they are important.
2. What Is an Income Statement? - Purpose, Components & Format
There are four financial reports that are created during the accounting cycle. These four reports make up what is commonly known as the financial statements. In this lesson, we will focus our attention on the income statement. We will learn what the income statement is, what its role in the financial statements is, and why it is important in accounting.
3. The Balance Sheet: Purpose, Components & Format
There are four financial reports that make up a group known as the financial statements. We will take a walk with one of those reports - the balance sheet - and learn what it is, what items are included on it and what its role in the group is.
4. The Statement of Cash Flows: Purpose, Format & Examples
There are four financial reports that are required in financial statements. In this lesson, you will learn about the fourth and final report - the statement of cash flows. You'll learn what the makeup of the statement is, its purpose, and why it is important to users of the financial statements.
5. The Purpose of Notes on Financial Statements
Financial statements are very important in accounting and finance. In this lesson, you will learn about notes to the financial statements, what information they may give, and why they are important to financial statement users.
6. Preparing the Basic Income Statement and Statement of Retained Earnings
Preparing financial statements can be tricky. In this lesson, we are going to talk about how to prepare the first two basic financial statements: the income statement and the statement of retained earnings.
7. How to Prepare the Basic Balance Sheet and Statement of Cash Flows
There are four reports that make up the financial statements. In this lesson, we will talk about how to create the balance sheet and the statement of cash flows. You will learn how to format the reports, as well as what information is reported on them.
8. External Audits of Financial Statements
Financial statements are one of the most heavily relied upon group of reports in the business world, and they must be accurate and reliable. In this lesson, you'll learn about financial statement audits, who performs them, and why they are important.
9. The Fundamental Principles of Accounting
Accounting is an art, but just as with any form of art, you need the right tools to make your masterpiece. For accounting, those tools are the seven major accounting principles. In this lesson, you will learn what those principles are and what they are used for.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accounting 101: Financial Accounting course
- Introduction to Accounting
- Mechanics of the Accounting Cycle
- Adjusting Accounts and Preparing Financial Statements
- Internal Controls in Accounting
- Merchandising Operations and Inventory in Accounting
- Receivables in Accounting
- Completing the Operating Cycle in Accounting
- Long-Term Assets in Accounting
- Current and Long-Term Liabilities in Accounting
- Reporting & Analyzing Equity in Accounting
- Statement of Cash Flows in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Studying for Accounting 101