About This Chapter
First Grade TEKS - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have designed this chapter to give first grade teachers in Texas a plan for how they can more easily and accurately apply TEKS standards to their classroom. A few of the topics addressed in this chapter include:
- Techniques for making 1st grade math lessons with TEKS
- Applying TEKS standards to general curriculum planning
- Using state standards to develop 1st grade science lessons
- Aligning social studies activities with TEKS
- Building TEKS-compliant reading lessons
When you open up any one of these lessons, you can be certain that the information presented will work in your classroom, because these lessons have been designed by fellow educators who understand the concerns of first grade teachers. In addition, the article-style lessons are organized with useful headers and linear formats, making these lessons easy to understand and use.
How It Helps
- Improves student engagement: These teaching resources offer you many strategies for incorporating TEKS standards into your curriculum, which can help your students stay on track and stay focused in your classroom.
- Make standards easier to understand: By viewing the standards here together with teaching strategies, it can help you see the standards differently and improve how you apply the standards to your lesson planning.
- Offers helpful strategies: It's easy to feel overwhelmed when it comes to designing TEKS-compliant curriculum, but our helpful strategies give you a solid plan you can use immediately.
By the end of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Describe techniques for using TEKS to build 1st grade math lessons
- Explain curriculum planning strategies that promote the required standards
- Identify the 1st grade TEKS standards for science curriculum
- Offer examples for social studies activities in line with TEKS
- Point out reading lessons that encourage state standards
1. Aligning 1st Grade Math with TEKS
When we take a road trip vacation, we use a map, and similarly, teachers in Texas use the TEKS as a map to what they will teach. In this lesson, you will read about how to navigate and use the 1st grade math TEKS as a curriculum guide.
2. First Grade Curriculum Planning with TEKS
The Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills provide various guidelines and ideas about what matters in a first grade curriculum. This lesson gives you ideas for how to plan a first grade curriculum that follows TEKS.
3. Aligning 1st Grade Science with TEKS
Every Texas teacher understands the importance of aligning your curriculum with TEKS. This lesson focuses on helping you understand how to work with the first grade science standards.
4. Aligning 1st Grade Social Studies with TEKS
As a first grade teacher working with TEKS, you might be wondering how to construct a meaningful social studies curriculum. This lesson provides you with guidance for aligning a first grade social studies program with TEKS.
5. Aligning Lessons with 1st Grade Reading TEKS
As a first grade teacher in Texas, you might be wondering how to align not just your curriculum but your individual lessons with TEKS. This lesson offers you some insight on strategies for alignment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Resources for Texas Educators course