About This Chapter
Fitness & Weight in Personal Health - Chapter Summary
Although most people want to be healthy, not everyone understands how to achieve health goals. These lessons offer a clear explanation of how to monitor personal health through incorporating fitness routines and weight management strategies.
Besides providing you with easy-to-follow lessons, we also give you assessment tools that let you keep track of your progress. One of our most versatile assessment tools includes the lesson quizzes. You can take a quiz before you review a lesson to get a baseline of your knowledge. Then, take the quiz afterwards to measure your progress. Since many of the lessons prompt you to take the quiz directly after reviewing the lesson materials, the quizzes also act as a recap to further cement this information into your mind. This personal health chapter has been constructed to prepare you to do the following:
- Describe how routine physical activity can benefit the body over time
- Identify the purpose of stretching, strength training, and aerobics
- Analyze weight problems, weight management risks, and obesity
- Check out factors causing obesity and overweight problems
- Define body fat content and review optimal weight guidelines
- Compare methods and strategies for effective healthy weight maintenance
- Examine surgical options and medications for weight loss
1. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
2. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
3. The Issue of Weight Management: Obesity, Risks & Weight Problems
Being overweight or obese are two conditions that have similarities in the problems they may cause, but they aren't precisely the same. This lesson will point out the differences and the unfortunate similarities between the two.
4. Factors Contributing to Overweight and Obesity Problems
Sometimes our hands are tied with respect to what happens in life. But not always. In this lesson, you'll learn that despite the apparently uncontrollable risk factors for obesity, two important, controllable aspects may help you overcome the possibility of obesity.
5. Determining Body Fat Content: Reliable Options & Optimal Weight
Many measurements and tests exist to determine your approximate body fat percentage and whether or not your body composition is of healthy proportions. Some of the well-known techniques are going to be the topic of discussion in this lesson.
6. Maintaining a Healthy Weight: Strategies, Methods & Effectiveness
Three major but important strategies can help you maintain a healthy weight. Throughout this lesson, we'll take a look at exercise, diet, and (believe it or not) sleep as important strategies for achieving this goal.
7. Medical Strategies for Weight Loss: Medication and Surgery
Diet and exercise aren't the only options available for weight loss. Sometimes, diet and exercise may not help a person enough. This is why medications and surgery are used when necessary.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101