About This Chapter
Florida & U.S. History - Chapter Summary
These lessons have been assembled to help you improve your understanding of the history of exploration, colonization and immigration in America. Follow along with our professional instructors in order to review:
- The first attempts made by Europeans to settle the Americas
- History of slave trade in colonial America
- Factors that influenced the two waves of European immigration in the late 1800s
- Florida's early exploration and colonization
- Various cultural influences on Florida's culture, economics and politics
If you feel short on time, then take advantage of the versatility of these lessons. Since they are mobile-device friendly, you can watch them on your tablet, laptop or smartphone whenever your time permits. Also, every lesson includes a short quiz that you can use to determine what topics you don't understand. The results of these assessments even include video tags you can use to go back to and review the material you missed.
1. First European Settlements of North America
In this lesson, you will explore the first years of European colonization in North America as several nations attempted to establish their first colonial settlements. Then, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Rise of Slave Trade: Black History in Colonial America
In this lesson, you'll learn a little about the slave trade, the growth and characteristics of slavery in the colonial period - including laws regulating the institution and the population of free blacks in the English colonies.
3. Old and New Immigrants in the US: Definition & Overview
There were two waves of European immigration to America in the late 1800s. Learn about the push and pull factors that contributed to these two major influxes of immigrants and the impact they had on U.S. policy.
4. Early Exploration & Colonization in Florida
In this lesson we will learn about the early exploration and colonization of Florida. We will identify important explorers and highlight key developments in Florida colonization.
5. Florida's Economic, Social & Political Growth
A warm subtropical climate makes tourism Florida's number one industry, but the economy has other interesting features too. Let's explore its reputation as a place to retire, and its demographic diversity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards