About This Chapter
Fluency & Reading Development - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter focus on the components of reading fluency. You will study how children acquire basic reading skills, gain new strategies for teaching fluency and automaticity and read about some suggested activities to improve a student's reading rate and accuracy. Upon completion, you will:
- Relate oral fluency to reading comprehension
- Describe print awareness and other steps in the reading process
- Acquire new techniques for teaching fluency and improving reading accuracy
- Define and explain prosody
- Examine activities and strategies to promote and assess fluency
Each of these short text lessons is accompanied by a brief quiz so that you can reinforce your understanding, while the chapter test measures your overall mastery of the material. Our subject matter experts and highly qualified instructors are available for assistance as needed, and the convenient online platform ensures access to this study guide 24/7/365.
1. Oral Fluency & Its Relationship to Reading Comprehension
Oral reading fluency is an important element of reading comprehension. This lesson will explore that connection for teachers seeking to improve oral fluency with their students.
2. Steps in Learning to Read
Learning to read is a multifaceted process. This lesson will explore the steps necessary to learn how to read and will end with a short quiz to test what you have learned.
3. Strategies for Improving Reading Rate & Accuracy
In this lesson, we learn to identify a student's current reading rate, level of fluency and mastery, and most importantly, learn the necessary strategies to enhance these skills.
4. Strategies for Teaching Automaticity & Fluency
Learn why fluency is important to reading comprehension and what strategies the experts recommend to improve a reader's accuracy, speed, and rhythm. You'll find out the basics of repeated reading and other techniques for teaching fluency.
5. Prosody: Definition, Elements & Instruction
This lesson will introduce prosody and the various elements of it by providing examples from a sample text. We'll also explain some ways to improve prosody.
6. Techniques for Assessing Student Fluency
Fluency is an important component of reading, and to teach it properly, we need to know how to assess it. This lesson gives you strategies for assessing the components of fluency.
7. Activities that Promote Reading Fluency
Learning to read can be a fun and exciting experience for young students. Providing activities that promote reading fluency helps to improve a child's skill.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards