About This Chapter
1. How the Kidneys Regulate Water Balance
Water balance is essential to our health and survival. This lesson explores how the kidneys regulate water balance with special cells known as osmoreceptors and a process called osmoregulation. You'll also learn how this process relates to a rare form of diabetes known as diabetes insipidus.
2. Adrenal Cortex: Aldosterone and Body Fluid Balance
Mineralocorticoids are a type of steroid hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex. In this lesson, you will learn about the main mineralocorticoid, aldosterone, and how it regulates your body's salt and water balance.
3. Fluid & Electrolyte Balance in the Body
Your body needs to maintain a balance of fluid and electrolytes to work properly. Learn how electrolytes and fluids interact and discover things that influence their balance, such as kidney function, thirst, hormones, medications and hydration levels.
4. Factors Influencing Fluid & Electrolyte Balance
Your body needs to maintain a proper level of fluid and electrolytes to function at its best. Learn about factors that influence fluid and electrolyte balance, including vomiting, diarrhea, fever, diet, exercise, diuretics, and kidney problems.
5. How the Kidneys Regulate Acid Base Balance
Find out how your kidneys keep you alive by excreting acids and bases in conditions like respiratory acidosis, metabolic alkalosis, metabolic acidosis, and respiratory alkalosis.
6. Arterial Blood Gas and Acid Base Balance: Tests and Interpretation
This lesson will discuss what the arterial blood gas test is and how it is used to interpret acid/base balance in your body. You'll learn about partial pressures, hypercapnia, acidemia, and alkalosis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Fundamental Principles of Nutrition
- Life Cycle Stages & Nutrition
- Energy Balance & The Body
- The Chemical Composition of Nutrients
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Nutrition-Related Physiology
- Digestion & Nutrient Absorption
- Metabolism of Nutrients
- Carbohydrates in Health & Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Lipids in Health & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- Meeting Nutrient Requirements
- Nutritional Assessment
- Clinical Intervention & Monitoring
- Drug & Nutrient Interactions
- Dietary Therapeutics & Behavior Optimization
- The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
- Public Health in Nutrition
- Practice Management
- Certified Nutrition Specialist Flashcards