About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering French food vocabulary will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn food vocabulary in French. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding French food vocabulary and phrases
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning French (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn French words and phrases for food
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra French learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Food in French: Vocabulary & Phrases chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Food in French: Vocabulary & Phrases chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any French food vocabulary question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a food vocabulary and phrases unit of a standard French course. Topics covered include:
- Cooking terms and measurements
- Kitchen and utensil vocabulary words
- French menu items and restaurant vocabulary
- How to make a reservation in French
- Fruits, vegetables, meats and seafood
- French meals
1. French Cooking Measurements
How do you know what measurements to use when in a foreign country? In this lesson we will see measurement conversions, as well as vocabulary and verbs that you will need to measure things in a French speaking country.
2. French Cooking Terms
In this lesson, we will learn some basic French terms related to cooking. In addition to some general cooking vocabulary, we will discuss cooking utensils, common ingredients, and verbs or instructions you might see in a recipe.
3. French Kitchen Vocabulary
Yes, France IS the country of fine cuisine. But whether it's in a restaurant or at home, a good meal always starts in the kitchen. With this lesson on French kitchen vocabulary, you'll be able to steal your friends' good recipes!
4. French Menu Terms
Ordering food at a French restaurant can be confusing. In this lesson, we'll go through menu terms and special quirks, so you can order like a French person the next time you're eating at a French restaurant.
5. French Restaurant Vocabulary
France, the country of fine ''cuisine'' and Michelin-starred restaurants! No matter where you stay in France, you're bound to eat at at least one restaurant. In this lesson, we'll go over the basics of French restaurant vocabulary.
6. Fruit Names in French
This lesson discusses vocabulary for fruits in French and the seasons when they can be most commonly found in France. Recipes involving fruit and cases of potentially confusing vocabulary are also covered.
7. How to Make a Reservation in French
Hotel rooms, restaurants, ski passes: if you're travelling to France, making reservations ahead of time might turn out to be a huge time-saver. In this lesson, we'll go over the basic vocabulary that will help you do that.
8. Meals in French
In this lesson, we will learn about the three main meals in French, including common dishes or foods that are typically eaten in France for each meal. We will also go over some general food vocabulary to help you better enjoy mealtime in French.
9. Meats in French
Vegetarians, beware! In this lesson, we'll be learning all about meat. We'll learn some general meat and butcher shop terms in French and go over vocabulary for specific categories of meat, like red meat, poultry, and seafood.
10. Names of Vegetables in French
This lesson covers vocabulary for vegetables in French, covering both cognates and more unusual nouns. Following norms of French cuisine, the lesson covers vegetables according to the season in which they're available.
11. Seafood in French
In this lesson, we will learn a number of key terms related to seafood in French. We will discuss specific types of fish, different kinds of shellfish, and other vocabulary terms that will help you when ordering or preparing seafood.
12. Utensils in French
In this lesson, you will learn the French words for all the kitchen and cooking utensils you may come across at a dinner party. We'll also go over some dishwashing terms, just in case you decide to help clean up after the party!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic French: Help & Review course
- Basic French Vocabulary
- Basic French Spelling & Pronunciation
- French Sentence Structure
- French Nouns & Pronouns
- Basic French Verbs
- French Verb Tenses & Conjugation
- French Adjectives & Adverbs
- French Expressions
- Places in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Animals in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Jobs in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Writing in French
- Culture in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- The Home in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Sports & Activities in French: Vocabulary & Phrases