About This Chapter
Food Preparation Basics - Chapter Summary
Review the basics of food preparation with these engaging food service industry lessons. As you work through the chapter, you'll find short lessons and self-assessment quizzes that examine various food preparation methods, skills and terminology. You can quickly find the information you want to study on your course Dashboard and ask our instructors questions if they come up. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Name the different types of food preparation
- Know what prepared food is
- Identify basic food preparation terms and skills
- Recognize the types of equipment that used to prepare food
- Outline halal and kosher food preparation methods
1. What is Food Preparation? - Definition & Types
Humans are the only living beings on Earth that do not exclusively eat food as it appears in nature. In this lesson, we'll look at the stages of food preparation and see what they mean to the culinary arts today.
2. What is Prepared Food?
What is the difference between food and prepared food? Does it matter? In this lesson, we'll look at the prepared food industry and see why this classification can be very significant.
3. Food Preparation Terms
Brushing up on your food preparation knowledge means having a solid understanding of important kitchen terms. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the key vocabulary terms crucial in food prep.
4. Basic Food Preparation Skills
Understanding the basics of food preparation means acquiring some important skills in the kitchen. In this lesson, you'll learn more about some basic food preparation skills that will help at home or in a commercial kitchen.
5. Types of Food Preparation Equipment
In this lesson on food and beverage management, you will learn about the different types of equipment used for food preparation, including essential knowledge of equipment required for efficient operation and management of food production.
6. Halal Food Preparation
For culinary arts students in today's world, halal food preparation may become a vital skill. In this lesson, we will examine this concept and see what halal cooking looks like.
7. Kosher Food: Preparation & Guidelines
Some dietary restrictions are personal choices; others are a bit more serious. In this lesson, we are going to review Jewish dietary laws and see what makes certain food fit to eat.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 309: Food & Beverage Service & Operations course
- Intro to Food & Beverage Operations
- Feasibility Planning for the Restaurant Industry
- Marketing Fundamentals for Restaurants
- Menu Planning Basics
- Food & Beverage Costs & Purchasing
- Food & Beverage Pricing Methods
- Food & Beverage Storage
- Inventory Control for Food & Beverage Services
- Restaurant Food Production
- Food Preparation Safety
- Types of Restaurant Service
- Restaurant Service Overview
- Serving Alcoholic Beverages
- Restaurant Design & Equipment Selection
- Financial Management for Food Service
- Food & Beverage Industry Trends
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 309