About This Chapter
Food Preparation Methods - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help you study basic food preparation and kitchen practices and processes. You will study short lessons that review utensils, food preparation skills and specific terms related to food and food preparation.
Lessons also focus on how to organize a kitchen, use relevant technology and prepare foods from certain food groups. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify basic kitchen tools and utensils
- Discuss kitchen and food sanitation and safety practices
- Use strategies to organize and manage kitchens
- Explain the relationship between food composition and preparation
- Define food preparation and identify relevant skills
- Recognize and define food preparation terms
- Describe technology used in food preparation
- Name common techniques to prepare food from different food groups
Lessons offer instruction from experts in the field and provide access from any device at all times. Take self-assessment quizzes to measure your understanding of each topic and identify the lessons you might need to explore further. Your Dashboard is a handy tool you can use to track your progress through the chapter.
1. Kitchen Sanitation & Safety
This lesson first describes the reasons why you should keep sanitary conditions in the kitchen and then how you can achieve that. It then goes over important safety considerations having to do with the kitchen.
2. What is Food Preparation? - Definition & Types
Humans are the only living beings on Earth that do not exclusively eat food as it appears in nature. In this lesson, we'll look at the stages of food preparation and see what they mean to the culinary arts today.
3. Basic Food Preparation Skills
Understanding the basics of food preparation means acquiring some important skills in the kitchen. In this lesson, you'll learn more about some basic food preparation skills that will help at home or in a commercial kitchen.
4. Food Preparation Terms
Brushing up on your food preparation knowledge means having a solid understanding of important kitchen terms. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the key vocabulary terms crucial in food prep.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards