About This Chapter
Food Safety & Sanitation - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide a convenient way to get up to speed on food safety and sanitation. You can review illnesses caused by eating contaminated foods and how improper food preparation can result in contamination by dangerous microorganisms. You can also gain a clearer understanding of the USDA's regulations for the proper handling of meats. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss food safety that's related to the hospitality industry
- Explain how to properly prepare food
- Recall common accidents in food services
- Differentiate between food poisoning and food infection
- List grades of meats, fruits, and vegetables
- Explain how local health departments keep the public safe in regard to food safety
- Detail the importance of food safety globally
After going through these engaging lessons, you'll have a better grasp of food safety and sanitation. You can study all of the lessons or just focus on specific topics. Each lesson comes with a brief quiz to determine how much of the content you can remember.
1. Food Safety: Definition & Guidelines
Improper food preparation can cause you to fall ill as a result of various dangerous microorganisms. In this lesson, you'll learn how to properly prepare your food.
2. Food Safety in the Hospitality Industry
Having a great meal on a vacation helps make the trip that much more memorable. But, getting sick from that food can scare you for life. In this lesson we will learn about food safety in the hospitality industry.
3. Food Service Accidents: Causes & Prevention
There are many hazards within a food service establishment. In this lesson, we will look at some of the more common accidents that can occur and preventative measures that can be taken to at least minimize the occurrence.
4. What Is a Foodborne Illness? - Definition and Common Types
In this lesson we will discuss illness caused by consuming contaminated foods. This will include defining the little known difference between food poisoning and food infection.
5. USDA Restaurant Rules & Regulations
Restaurants have to follow the USDA's regulations for acceptable grades of meat and proper handling. In this lesson, we will discuss the different grades of fruits, vegetables, and meats as well as safe handling processes.
6. Concerns for Food Safety Around the World
This lesson will explore the importance of food safety, who's in charge of food safety, what we're trying to combat, and how you can take action at home to keep yourself safe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OAE Family & Consumer Sciences (022): Study Guide & Practice course
- Human Development & Genetics
- Dimensions of Development Across Childhood
- Dimensions of Development Across Adulthood
- Interpersonal Relationships & Communication
- Families & Well-Being
- Planning for Pregnancy, Childbirth & Parenting
- Parenting, Children's Health & Safety
- Personal Budgets, Banking & Insurance
- Financial Resource Management
- Consumer Credit
- Economics & Consumerism
- Consumer Skills
- Housing, Interiors & Furniture
- Textiles & Apparel
- Nutrient Sources & Functions
- Basics of Nutrition & Food Science
- Food Preparation & Menu Planning
- Family & Consumer Science Careers
- Employment & Employability Skills