About This Chapter
Forces & Magnets - Chapter Summary
These interesting lessons introduce the concepts of air resistance and friction, as well as how forces are measured using a force meter. Our instructors present information on what simple machines are and how they're used. In this chapter, you also learn about different types of magnets, their many forms and uses and how to compare their strength. Once you complete this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Explain how force and motion relate to each other
- Give examples of friction
- Describe how gears and cogs work together to transfer motion
- Detail the power of the Earth's magnetic field
Review the lessons in this chapter, and then take the accompanying multiple-choice quizzes to see how well you understand the topics. Our instructors can offer help if you get stuck or need assistance. These learning tools are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for flexible study.
1. Force & Motion Lesson for Kids
Do you like sports? Did you know that playing sports is all about forces and motion? In this lesson, you will find out what motion is, what force is, and how they relate to each other.
2. What is Air Resistance? - Lesson for Kids
Air resistance is a type of force that acts on moving objects. We experience this force every day, whether we know it or not. How does air resistance affect us and everything around us? Complete this lesson to find out.
3. Measuring Force: Lesson for Kids
Forces are measured in terms of a unit called Newtons. They cause objects around us to move or be held together. We draw forces using arrows and measure them with a force meter.
4. Friction Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Friction is a type of force that keeps objects in place or slows them down. This lesson explores friction in greater detail and provides examples of friction in action.
5. Simple Machines for Kids: Definition & Examples
Simple machines have been used by humans for thousands of years. Come and learn about what simple machines are, how they help us, and some real-life examples of simple machines.
6. Gears & Cogs: Lesson for Kids
Have you opened a can of soup or vegetables with a can opener lately? Like many simple machines, gears and cogs are used by people every day without them even realizing it. This lesson explains how gears and cogs work and their basic functions.
7. Magnetism Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Magnetism is a physical property of matter and is also one of the basic forces of the universe. This lesson explores magnetism and magnets as well as the power of Earth's magnetic field.
8. Magnets Lesson for Kids: Uses & Types
Magnets are part of our everyday lives. They come in different forms and have different uses. In this lesson, you will learn about some different types of magnets as well as some of the uses for magnets.
9. How to Compare the Strength of Magnets: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson you will learn two ways to test the strength of magnets. You will find out how much a magnet can hold, and you will test from how far away it can attract. You will be able to compare magnets and tell which is the strongest.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Living Things in Their Environment
- Lifecycles & Ecosystems
- Overview of Plant Structure & Development
- Human & Animal Body Systems & Development
- Nutrition, Exercise & Personal Care
- Human Health Hazards
- Adaptation & Reproduction of Living Things
- Evolution & Inheritance
- Rocks & Soil Basics
- Basics of Light
- States of Matter Basics
- Sound & Hearing Basics
- Electricity Basics
- Properties of Materials
- Chemical Changes in Materials
- Overview of Earth & Space
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Science Flashcards