About This Chapter
Foreign Exchange Market & Purchasing Power - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
One of the challenges of doing business internationally is that there is no one common currency used and the value of one currency compared to another changes daily. Our subject matter experts created this series of lessons to teach you about the foreign exchange market and purchasing power. We supply a quiz at the end of each lesson to test your understanding of the material just studied. Also, you can ask questions of the teacher. When you are done with this chapter, you should understand:
- The foreign currency exchange and exchange rates
- Effects of exchange rates on currency appreciation and depreciation
- How monetary policies affect exchange rates
- Achieving trade balance and balance of payments
- Purchasing power, purchasing power parity and the Big Mac Index
- Cost benefits of doing business abroad vs. liabilities of foreignness
|Foreign Currency Exchange: Supply and Demand for Currency||Point out why money from different countries has different values and exchange rates.|
|Exchange Rate: Determination and Conversion across Countries||Dissect exchange rate determination.|
|Currency Appreciation & Depreciation: Effects of Exchange Rate Changes||Evaluate the effects of changes in exchange rate on currency appreciation and depreciation.|
|How Fiscal and Monetary Policies Affect the Exchange Rate||Correlate Money Policies to Exchange Rates.|
|How Currency Changes Affect Imports and Exports||Weigh the effects currency changes have on imports and exports.|
|Achieving Trade Balance: Trade Deficit and Surplus Examples||Differentiate between trade balance, trade deficit and trade surplus.|
|Balance of Payments: Current Account & Measuring Foreign Trade||Consider what balance of payments is and the four main trade components of a current account.|
|Balance of Payments with Financial Accounts: Measuring Foreign Trade||Prepare an analysis of the relationship of balance of payment to foreign trade.|
|What is Purchasing Power? - Definition & Parity Theory||Critique the concept of purchasing power.|
|Purchasing Power Parity & the Big Mac Index||Develop the idea of the Big Mac Index and how to use it.|
|Cost of Doing Business Abroad vs. Liability of Foreignness||Compare and contrast the cost benefits of doing business abroad with the liability of foreignness.|
1. Foreign Currency Exchange: Supply and Demand for Currency
In this lesson, you'll learn why money from different countries has different values of exchange. We'll cover the supply and demand for currencies and how changes in supply and demand can affect the exchange rates between currencies.
2. Exchange Rate: Determination and Conversion Across Countries
Understand what exchange rates are and the different types that can be used by governments and countries. See how they operate and how the conversion process works across countries.
3. Currency Appreciation & Depreciation: Effects of Exchange Rate Changes
Find out how changes in the exchange rate can affect the economy and your own individual situation. Discover how these currency changes can increase and decrease your purchasing power and standard of living.
4. How Fiscal and Monetary Policies Affect the Exchange Rate
Discover how fiscal and monetary policy can affect the exchange rate and ultimately the amount of money it costs you to buy goods and services. Find out the three paths that both fiscal and monetary policy can travel to impact the exchange rate.
5. How Currency Changes Affect Imports and Exports
Learn about how currency changes can affect imports and exports. Find out how this affects you. Discover what happens when a dollar is strong compared to other currencies and what happens when it is weak.
6. Achieving Trade Balance: Trade Deficit and Surplus Examples
Find out what trade balance, trade deficit, and trade surplus are. Learn about some recent examples that help clarify trade deficit and surplus. Explore what countries have a surplus and what countries have a deficit.
7. Balance of Payments: Current Account & Measuring Foreign Trade
Find out what the current account is and the four main foreign trade components that it is comprised of. Similar to your bank account, learn how the current account is measured and what a deficit and surplus mean when talking about this economic indicator.
8. Balance of Payments with Financial Accounts: Measuring Foreign Trade
Learn about the balance of payments and the two key components that make it up. Discover what the financial/capital account is and how it relates to foreign trade and surpluses and deficits.
9. What is Purchasing Power? - Definition & Parity Theory
In this lesson, we'll be looking at purchasing power, which is used for computing the value of currency. After the lesson, you can test your knowledge with a short quiz.
10. Purchasing Power Parity & the Big Mac Index
In this lesson, we explore the Big Mac index, which analyzes whether currencies are at their correct levels using the theory of purchasing-power parity. We discuss the index and look at examples of how to read and use it.
11. Cost of Doing Business Abroad vs. Liability of Foreignness
In this lesson we'll address the costs of doing business abroad (CDBA) and the liability of foreignness (LOF). We'll discuss and analyze each and look at their effects on international corporations.
12. Required Assignments Reminder
Sorry for the interruption to your course progress! We wanted to make sure you knew this course has a written assignment requirement in order to be completed. Read on to learn where to find these assignments and how to submit them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 308: Globalization & International Management course
- Global Business Environments
- Global Leadership & Management
- Virtual Teams & Project Management
- Effect of Globalization on Organizations
- Global Trade & Business Law
- Global Business, Government & Society
- Global Marketing Basics
- Crisis Management and International Business
- Culture & Ethics in International Business
- Social Responsibility in Corporations
- Changes in the Global Marketplace
- Required Assignments for Business 308
- Studying for Business 308