About This Chapter
Formation of New Empires and Political Systems - Chapter Summary
This chapter goes over the evolution of empires and civilizations in China, Mongolia, and Africa, detailing the nature of their beginnings and tracking political and cultural developments within them.
Lessons will cover the progress of economic systems and the role of religion in the rise of key historical civilizations. Technical advances, trade expeditions, as well as the connection between agricultural and population growth will round out your understanding of the empires discussed. By the time you're through with this chapter, you'll have reviewed:
- History of the Mongols
- Reunification and spread of Buddhism in the Tang dynasty
- Agriculture, technology and commerce in Tang and Sung China
- Confucianism in the Sung and Mongol periods
- Expeditions in the Mongol rise and Ming dynasty
- China's imperial class
- Post-Classical African civilizations
Lessons in this chapter will guide you through these topics using easy-to-follow videos, taught by professional instructors, that will let you review key information without taking up too much of your time. If you want to go back or skip forward to a certain main point in the video, you can use the provided video tags to jump to it. Or, if you prefer learning through reading, use the transcript of the video included within each lesson. You can also double-check your understanding of the subjects discussed with self-assessment quizzes that you can take and re-take at your discretion.
1. The Mongols: Definition, History & Conquest
Who are the Mongols? In this lesson we will look at the origins of the Mongols, the early life of Genghis Khan, their very first conquests, and examine what made them the most feared warriors of the 13th century.
2. Reunification of China in the Tang Dynasty
In this lesson, you'll explore the complex period of reunification between two powerful dynasties in Chinese history as warlords fought each other for power. You'll discover exactly how the Tang Dynasty put China back together again. Test your understanding afterward with a brief quiz.
3. The Spread of Buddhism in Tang China
In this lesson, you will explore the rise of the religious philosophy Buddhism in the Tang dynasty of Chinese history. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Agriculture, Technology & Commerce in Tang & Sung China
In this lesson, you'll explore the relationship between agriculture, technology, and commerce in two dynasties from Chinese history: the Tang and the Sung. Afterward, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Confucianism in the Sung & Mongol Periods
In this lesson, you will explore the influence of the Chinese philosophy Confucianism on two very different, but very important periods in Chinese history. Then, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Trade & Maritime Expeditions in the Mongol Ascendancy & Ming Dynasty
In this lesson, you will explore how China used international business to become a powerful empire at very different points in its history. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. The Imperial State & Scholar-Official Class in Middle Imperial China
In this lesson, you will explore the rise of the Scholar-Official class in China and discover how education and government worked together to create a strong empire. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Post-Classical African Civilizations
While Europe worked to crawl out of the chaos of the Dark Ages in the wake of Rome's collapse, a number of states arose in Africa that left a lasting impact upon the region and the world. In this lesson, we look at three of these empires.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis World & U.S. History - Content Knowledge (5941): Practice & Study Guide course
- Geographic and Environmental History
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- History of the Ancient Near East
- Early River-Valley Civilizations
- Early American Civilizations
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- Ancient India
- Ancient Persia
- Ancient China
- Development of Religions
- History of the Dark Ages
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- The Emergence of Interregional Networks
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- The Development of Major Political Entities
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- American Imperialism & World War I
- Overview of World War I
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Post-WWII World Cultures & Politics (1946-1959)
- Western Civilization Post-1945
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- International Organizations in the 20th Century
- Decolonization & Nationalist Movements (1890-1900)
- Genocides in the 20th Century
- Historical Thinking Skills
- Praxis World and U.S. History: Content Knowledge Flashcards