About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Formatting Rules material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn when to italicize and when to underline, how to apply quotes and when to capitalize certain words. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing facts about formatting rules
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English grammar (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Formatting Rules chapter exam.
Why It Works
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Formatting Rules chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any English grammar question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Formatting Rules for a standard English course. Topics covered include:
- Using italic fonts
- Understanding whether to underline or italicize book and movie titles
- How to quote quotes and block quote
- Using MLA and APA formats
- When to capitalize job titles
1. Italic Font: Definition & Use
Italics are used to emphasize or distinguish words when writing a document. In this lesson, you will learn what italics are and when and how to use them correctly in a text.
2. Do You Underline or Italicize Book Titles?
In this lesson, you'll gain clarification on when to underline the titles of books. You'll also learn when to italicize books' titles. This lesson explains the most common contexts for writing book titles.
3. How to Quote a Quote
It can be confusing when you need to quote a quote. You might not be sure which formatting system is the correct system. In this lesson, you will learn how to quote a quote and use the correct punctuation and formatting system.
4. When & How to Block Quote: Format & Example
If you are working on an essay, an article or even just a blog entry, you probably know how to use short quotes in your writing already. But what about when you have long quote? Read on to find out just what to do with long quotes.
5. Do You Underline or Italicize Movie Titles?
If you've ever wondered how to correctly format movie titles in a written work, then this lesson is for you. In this lesson, you'll learn how to format movie and television titles, as well as the exceptions to the rules.
6. Using MLA vs APA Formats
MLA and APA are two of the most widely used citation formats, but which one is correct, and why are there two different systems? In this lesson, you will learn the differences between the two systems and when to use each correctly.
7. Do You Capitalize Job Titles?
It is important to know if you should capitalize job titles. Making a mistake might look unprofessional, but do we capitalize all job titles? In this lesson, you will learn when and when not to capitalize job titles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.