About This Chapter
Formatting Worksheets and Workbooks in Excel: Chapter Summary
In order to successfully create worksheets and workbooks in Excel, you'll need to learn how to format them. The proper format can make your documents look much more polished and professional. This chapter will teach you how to format columns and rows to your specifications, create headers and footers, validate data and more.
Engaging video lessons taught by experienced Excel experts break down the information into small, manageable chunks. We make it easy to learn new techniques for formatting worksheets and workbooks in Excel. Following each video lesson, you can take an interactive online quiz to test your understanding of the concepts you just learned.
As you move through the chapter, you'll be exposed to Excel topics such as:
- Modifying worksheet tabs
- Modifying page setup properties
- Inserting and deleting columns and rows
- Applying and changing workbook themes
- Adjusting column width and row height
- Inserting watermarks into worksheets
- Inserting headers and footers
- Using data validation
(Note: all demonstrations in this chapter will be using Microsoft Excel 2013. Certain features, tools, or displays may be different in other versions.)
Excel is a trademark of the Microsoft Corporation, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Modify the Worksheet Tab in Excel
Excel workbooks can have several pages or worksheets. Each page is identified using a worksheet tab. This lesson will review how to add and remove worksheets, how to rename worksheets and how to change the color of the tab fill.
2. Modifying Page Setup Properties in Excel
When you need to change the orientation, modify the page size, adjust margins or add title rows to printed pages, the Page Setup grouping of commands is the place to get it done. This lesson will guide you through modifying your page setup options.
3. How to Insert & Delete Columns & Rows in Excel
The next time your create a spreadsheet, you will undoubtedly find yourself in need of being able to insert and delete rows and/or columns. This lesson will detail the steps to adding and removing rows and columns in Excel.
4. Workbook Themes: Applying & Changing Themes in Excel
Themes in MS Excel are a collection of colors, fonts and effects designed to provide consistency throughout your workbook. This lesson will discuss how to apply themes to your MS Excel documents.
5. Adjusting Column Width & Row Height in Excel
From time to time, you may need to adjust the column width or row height of an Excel spreadsheet. This lesson will demonstrate different ways to make these adjustments.
6. How to Insert Watermarks in Your Excel Worksheet
Although Excel does not have a feature to automatically add watermarks, similar to Microsoft Word, there is a way to mimic a watermark on a worksheet. This lesson will demonstrate two ways to add a watermark to an Excel spreadsheet.
7. How to Insert Headers & Footers in Excel
Excel has a feature that allows you to add header and footer information that displays on your printed Excel document. Headers and footers help make the document a bit more professional and easier to read.
8. Using Data Validation in Excel
Have you ever wanted to restrict what type of data is entered into an Excel spreadsheet as well as how it's entered? Excel's data validation feature can help you do just that. This lesson will explain data validation and demonstrate how to set limitations on data entered on Excel worksheets.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the Intro to Excel: Essential Training & Tutorials course
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Customizing Options & Views in Excel
- Configure to Print & Save in Excel
- Format Cells & Ranges in Excel
- Insert Data in Cells and Ranges in Excel
- Filter and Sort a Table in Excel
- Order & Group Cells & Ranges in Excel
- Create a Table in Excel
- Modify a Table in Excel
- Use Cell Ranges & References for Formulas & Functions in Excel
- Summarize Data with Functions in Excel
- Functions with Conditional Logic in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Create a Chart in Excel