About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college-level business material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn college-level business. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding sole proprietorships or working with franchises
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business topics (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about forms of business ownership
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Forms of Business Ownership chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Forms of Business Ownership chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any forms of business ownership question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a Forms of Business Ownership unit of a standard college-level introduction to business course. Topics covered include:
- Limited liability companies
- Corporate expansion
- The role of cooperatives in business
1. Corporate Expansion: Mergers and Acquisitions
Corporations can grow in two different ways: through expansion of their current business or through mergers and acquisitions. In this lesson, you'll learn about mergers and acquisitions. A short quiz follows.
2. Franchises: Opportunities and Challenges
Franchises offer a way for a person to start a proven business. In this lesson, you'll learn about franchises, including their advantages and disadvantages. You'll also learn about diversity and global challenges in franchising.
3. Wholly Owned Subsidiary: Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
It's not unusual for one company to own another company. In this lesson, you'll learn about wholly owned subsidiaries, including their advantages and disadvantages. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
4. What Is a Private Limited Company? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
A private limited company is one type of business structure. In this lesson, you will learn what a private limited company is and explore some of its advantages and disadvantages.
5. What Is a Holding Company? - Definition & Advantages
After completing this lesson, you will understand what constitutes a holding company. In addition, you will review the advantages of a holding company and have an overall understanding of these advantages.
6. What Is Corporate Structure? - Definition, Types & Examples
Corporations are a powerful force in business. It's important to understand how they are controlled, owned and operated. Learn the key concepts of corporate structure, and test your knowledge with the quiz that follows.
7. What is a Sole Proprietorship? - Definition, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
Many businesses start out as sole proprietorships. In this lesson, you'll learn what a sole proprietorship is and its advantages and disadvantages. You'll also have a chance to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz.
8. The Basics of Partnerships: Types & Examples
Partnerships are a common way to organize a business in the United States. In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of business partnerships and their respective advantages and disadvantages. A short quiz follows the lesson.
9. The Basics of LLCs: Limited Liability Companies
The limited liability company is one of the most popular business organizational forms for small and medium-sized businesses. In this lesson, you'll learn about the key characteristics of a limited liability company. A short quiz follows.
10. Corporations: Types, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
Corporations are a popular form of business organization for large and small businesses. In this lesson, you'll learn about the advantages and disadvantages of a corporation. You'll also learn about S-corporations and C-corporations.
11. The Role of Cooperatives in Business
A cooperative is a type of business organization used for a variety of economic and social purposes. In this lesson, you'll learn about cooperatives, their characteristics and the role they serve in the economy. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Business: Help and Review course
- The Dynamic Business Environment: Help and Review
- Business Morality & Code of Conduct: Help and Review
- Economics and Business: Help and Review
- Business in Global Markets: Help and Review
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Help and Review
- Managing and Leading in Business: Help and Review
- Leadership Styles in Business: Help and Review
- Organizational Management: Help and Review
- Project Management Basics: Help and Review
- Business Production and Operations: Help and Review
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation: Help and Review
- Basics of Human Resources: Help and Review
- Managing the Employer-Worker Relationship: Help and Review
- Business Marketing Basics: Help and Review
- Product Development and Retailing: Help and Review
- Product Distribution & Supply Chain Management: Help and Review
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing: Help and Review
- Product Promotion in Business: Help and Review
- MIS Basics in Business: Help and Review
- Implications of Information Technology: Help and Review
- Risk Management in Business: Help and Review
- Accounting Basics: Help and Review
- Financial Management in Business: Help and Review
- Securities Markets and Business: Help and Review
- Lean in Business
- Money and Financial Institutions: Help and Review
- Strategic Planning for Small Businesses
- Small Business Analysis Models
- Small Business Entrepreneurship
- Ethical Behavior & Social Responsibility in Small Business
- Product Pricing for Small Business