About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Foundations & Linear Equations chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Number types||Natural and whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers and real numbers|
|Tuesday||The Cartesian plane||The x-axis and y-axis, quadrants, ordered pairs and intercepts|
|Wednesday||Linear equations||Slope-intercept and standard forms of linear equations; x- and y-intercepts|
|Thursday||Graphs of linear equations||Zero and undefined slope; slopes of parallel and perpendicular lines|
|Friday||Systems of equations||Steps for setting up systems of equations; the substitution and elimination problem-solving methods|
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
3. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
4. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
5. Abstract Algebraic Examples and Going from a Graph to a Rule
Just because you now know what a linear equation is doesn't mean that you are a master! This video will help you learn how to apply your knowledge of linear equations in more abstract algebraic ways.
6. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
7. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
8. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
9. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Matrices & Absolute Value: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- FOIL, Parabolas & Quadratics: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Complex Numbers: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Polynomials: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Functions: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponentials & Logarithms: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Probability Mechanics: College Algebra Lesson Plans
- Sequences & Series: College Algebra Lesson Plans