About This Chapter
Foundations of Earth Science - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons examine the core components of earth science and its impact on society, as well as the history of science and key scientific discoveries. Our instructors also lead you through a discussion on unifying themes and relationships in science. After you've reviewed these lessons, you should be prepared to:
- Explain the impact of technology and math on science
- Share how space exploration can affect culture and society
- Discuss the impact of humans on the environment
- Describe the types of pollution
- Analyze the applications of earth and space science to every day life
These brief lessons are led by expert instructors, and you can contact them if you have any questions. The quizzes they've devised can help you assess your learning and see which areas require additional study.
1. The History of Science: Events, Contributions & Theories
In this lesson, we discuss a few significant events in science's history. We will see how science has changed over the years as we start to question what we think we know.
2. Unifying Themes, Principles & Relationships in Science
Learn the true definition of science and explore the main themes and principles to understand how science helps us find relationships in the natural world. Take a quiz to test what you know.
3. What is Earth Science?
Earth science is a field that includes geology, astronomy, meteorology, and oceanography. Scientists do research in these fields to discover past and future events. Learn about the dynamic field of earth science and how it affects our lives in this lesson.
4. How Scientific Discoveries Can Cause People to Change Their Beliefs
Personal beliefs are one thing that people hold to very tightly. However, over time, with enough scientific evidence, a critical eye and consistent experiments, science can and does change people's beliefs in ways that simple observations cannot.
5. How Science Has Changed Society
Without science, our modern world just wouldn't be the same. The way we travel, shop, learn, socialize, eat, work, and play is possible because of scientific influences and innovations. Take a look around, and you'll see science pretty much everywhere!
6. Impact of Technology & Math on Science
Learn how technology and mathematics are central to science. Discover examples of how scientists use technology and mathematics for research and communication.
7. How Space Exploration Affects Culture & Society
Few events have had more impact on human culture and society than space exploration. Learn the various ways that culture and society have changed as a result of major space exploration events like the moon landing.
8. Human Environmental Impact & Ecological Conservation
The Earth has only so much space for us and our non-human neighbors. In this lesson, we will learn about how humans impact the environment, what causes habitat fragmentation, and what ecological conservation can do to help.
9. Pollution: Physical, Chemical & Biological
Pollution is the presence of unwanted substances in an environment. It is often the result of human interference. Learn about physical, chemical and biological pollutants and see examples of each.
10. Applications of Earth & Space Science to Everyday Life
Earth's processes and movement have a profound impact on human life. Here we will examine some ways in which earth and space sciences apply to everyday life. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Earth/Space Science (020): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basics of Inquiry & Research in Earth & Space Science
- Scientific Data & Calculations
- Laboratory Equipment, Safety & Procedures
- Scientific Tools Used in Earth & Space Science
- Earth's Formation & Structure
- Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift & Ocean Formations
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Rocks & Minerals
- Effect of Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- Geologic Time & Earth's History
- Environmental Impacts of Earth's Natural Resources
- Properties of Water & the Hydrologic Cycle
- Ocean Formation & Characteristics
- Earth's Groundwater
- Earth's Fresh Water
- Global Water Issues
- The Structure & Characteristics of Earth's Atmosphere
- Wind, Air Masses & ENSO in Atmospheric Circulation
- Clouds, Condensation & Precipitation
- Weather Conditions, Patterns & Severe Weather
- Climate Change & Air Pollution
- The Sun-Earth-Moon System
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Light
- Celestial Orbit Characteristics
- Formation of the Solar System
- Celestial Bodies in the Solar System
- Kepler & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Star Types & Life Cycle
- Origins & Theories of the Universe
- Introduction to the History of Astronomy
- MTTC Earth/Space Science Flashcards