About This Chapter
Foundations of Essay Writing - Chapter Summary
This chapter is an ultra-valuable reference guide on essay writing. You'll review the typical five-paragraph essay, and we also have lessons dedicated to these specific paragraphs: the introduction, the body paragraphs, and the conclusion. Furthermore, additional lessons delve into how to structure these individual paragraphs, write transition sentences, and include details to support your claims. You can also learn about other organizational strategies for your essay and review how to consider your essay holistically, using your tone and voice to reach your audience.
By the time you complete this chapter, you should be able to meet these objectives:
- Choose the most suitable tone and content based on your audience and the purpose of your essay
- Learn how to use three specific types of attention-getters
- Write a compelling and arguable thesis to gain your audience's interest
- Support your thesis with clearly written body paragraphs that include relevant supporting details
- Incorporate sound reasoning and valid evidence to back up your claims in a persuasive essay
- Easily move from one sentence to another, and one paragraph to another, by using transition words and sentences
- Conclude your lesson with an impactful summary that connects the dots and convinces the audience of your stance
- Analyze the essay structure and edit your essay to achieve an immaculate final copy
You can access this chapter anytime you'd like, plus our platform is mobile-friendly, so you can reference this content on your smartphone at the same time as you're writing in a notebook or typing on a computer! What's more, our lessons are designed to fully engage your interest via video presentations that illustrate these essential concepts and visually indicate the components of an essay. You can also scan through the text lesson version easily if you need to reference certain content quickly. Our team of lesson instructors has abundant experience teaching essay writing and have shared their best techniques to help you succeed!
1. How to Organize an Essay
In this video, we will cover the steps involved in organizing an essay. We'll talk about titles, introductory paragraphs, concluding paragraphs, main points, transition statements and editing.
2. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
3. Organizational Patterns for Writing: Purpose and Types
Ever read a piece of writing and simply not understand the message? Knowing the structure of the writing will often help you understand it. Watch this video lesson to learn about structure of writing.
4. Tone, Audience & Purpose in Essays
What is tone? How do you create a tone within an essay? Watch this video lesson to learn how writing with a specific audience and purpose in mind will help you to achieve an appropriate tone.
5. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
6. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
7. Supporting Details: Definition & Examples
Find out what supporting details are and their role in essay writing. Learn the different ways to include supporting details, then take a quiz to test your new skills.
8. How to Support Your Claims in Writing With Reasoning and Evidence
What makes an essay persuasive? How can you convince people that your position is the stronger side? In this lesson, we'll explore reasons and evidence and how to use them in a persuasive essay to convince others to support your side.
9. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
10. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
11. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Writing Placement Test Study Guide course