About This Chapter
Foundations of International Finance - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers the foundations of international finance. You'll explore trade policy, accounting principles, the tax structure of corporations, and other key global finance topics. Each lesson comes with a corresponding quiz to help you verify how well you are absorbing this information. These quizzes test your knowledge of concept applications, definitions, true statements, problem-solving strategies, and more. Once you have gone through the entire chapter, you will possess the knowledge to do the following:
- Describe the globalization and internationalization of businesses
- Identify major developments and trends in international business today
- Analyze key examples of currency trading
- Explain the history of the gold standard
- Define the GAAP
- Point out how modern corporations interact with stakeholders
- Appraise the liability of corporations and the current tax structure
- Compare the characteristics of democracy, pluralism, and capitalism
- Assess the economic and political systems within global businesses
- Summarize U.S. trade policy and intellectual property rights
- Classify the types of entrance barriers in economics
- Detail the role of international trade organizations in global trade
1. Internationalization & Globalization of Businesses
When companies decide to do international business, they have a wide variety of methods they can use to actually enter the market. This lesson will discuss those different methods and analyze how they work in an international context.
2. Major Trends & Developments in International Business
Entire courses - even entire college degrees - exist to teach people the complexities of international business. While this lesson is just an introduction, it will discuss important trends that are shaping the world's economy.
3. The World Bank, IMF & Other International Banking Organizations
International banking and financial organizations exist to encourage economic and financial stability, help facilitate trade, and help with economic development. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of these important organizations.
4. U.S. Trade Policy & Law
American industries depend upon the government for protection against imports and to promote domestic exports. In this lesson, you will be exposed to an overview of U.S. trade policy and law.
5. International Trade Organizations and Trade Agreements
International trade organizations and trade agreements have enormous power in the global trade environment. In this lesson, you will learn about the roles of the GATT, NAFTA, and the World Trade Organization.
6. The World Trade Organization: Definition, History, Purpose & Members
Find out what the World Trade Organization is and what it hopes to accomplish. Learn about the history of this organization and who some of the current members are.
7. International Trade in the 1990s and Beyond
On the news, we often hear terms like globalization, NAFTA, and WTO thrown around. But what do those ideas and groups really mean for us? This lesson serves to shed some light on the state of international trade.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Finance 302: International Finance course
- The Balance of Payments in International Finance
- History of Money & Finance
- Globalization & Multinational Firms
- Foreign Exchange Markets
- Currency Changes in International Finance
- International Capital Markets
- Risk Management in International Finance
- Hedging & Strategic Decision Making
- Capital & International Financial Management
- International Financial Scams & Crises
- Required Assignments for Finance 302