About This Chapter
Foundations of STEM Education - Chapter Summary
This short chapter helps instructors review the foundations of STEM education. These supplemental teaching resources show you the benefits of STEM education as well as STEM's importance to society. This knowledge can help you and your students see the importance of cultivating science, technology, engineering and math skills.
You can use any computer or mobile device to access the chapter material. Review these resources at home or in the classroom using any computer or mobile device. We've also included lesson quizzes to evaluate your comprehension of STEM fundamentals.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: You'll become more aware of the importance and impact of STEM education as well as current STEM education standards.
- Enhances instructional skills: Developing a deep understanding of STEM education can help you modify your instructional methods to teach your students important skills.
- Connects the dots: These resources help you see how science and technology relate to each other.
Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Know why STEM education is important
- Recognize STEM education standards
- Assess the relationship between science and technology
- Understand how STEM education affects society
1. What Is STEM Education? - Definition, Importance & Standards
STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. Learn more about what STEM education is, why it is important and explore standards associated with STEM. A short quiz follows the lesson.
2. How Science & Technology Are Related
What are science and technology, and how are they related? Learn about how science leads to technology, and technology leads to science. Discover some examples from history.
3. The Interrelationships Between STEM & Society
As time goes on, science, technology, engineering, and math become more and more tangled in current society. This lesson will give an overview of various ways in which STEM and society have become intertwined.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Understanding & Applying STEM Education in the Classroom course