About This Chapter
Foundations of Teaching Math - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons look at the basic concepts and strategies for teaching math to young children. You'll review the different types of numbers and see examples showing the order of operations in math. Another lesson looks at how to interpret scientific data displayed in graphs and charts.
Our instructors will help you understand how children develop math skills and show you ways to identify problems that children may have when learning math. You'll also look at methods of adapting math lessons to meet each child's learning needs. After finishing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify different types of numbers
- Perform arithmetic with whole numbers
- Understand the order of operations
- Read graphs and charts used to display scientific data
- Describe how young children develop math skills
- Use assessment strategies to identify math difficulties in students
- Plan instruction to create challenges for each student
You can watch these lessons as your schedule permits, on a computer or mobile device. Our instructors use practice problems and examples to help you learn, and the quizzes at the end of our lessons offer a quick way to assess your knowledge.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
3. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
4. How to Read Scientific Graphs & Charts
How do scientists summarize their findings with visual aids? In this lesson, explore the different types of tables, charts and graphs that scientists use. Learn to read these effectively as a preview to your science studies.
5. Mathematical Development in Children
Read this lesson, and you'll be surprised at how quickly little children learn about math and how it applies to their little world. You'll learn what to look for at each age.
6. Mathematics Assessment Strategies in Early Childhood
Math isn't just a school topic; it's actually a skill that children begin learning about soon after they begin talking. Learn what assessment strategies you can use to see how well your children are grasping their early math skills in this lesson.
7. Developmentally Appropriate Math Instruction
In this lesson, we will learn developmentally appropriate ways to incorporate math instruction into your classroom. We will learn what it means to be developmentally appropriate, and then provide some effective learning strategies to make this possible in early childhood learning.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Early Childhood Education (AZ036): Practice & Study Guide course
- Child Growth & Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Health & Safety for Young Children
- Promoting Learning & Development
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- Curriculum Planning & Classroom Strategies
- Early Childhood Language Development
- Developing Literacy in Children
- Reading Development & Teaching Strategies
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- Basic Elements of Mathematics
- Measurement & Geometry Skills
- Foundations of Teaching Science
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Physical Science Terms & Properties
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Learning Through the Arts
- AEPA Early Childhood Education Flashcards