About This Chapter
Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter explain various operations with fractions, including how to build and reduce them, find the least common denominators, compare fractions and convert between improper fractions and mixed numbers. Operations with like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers are covered.
You'll get practice solving problems with fractions and mixed numbers as well as solving complex fractions. Other lessons examine how to use a number line and ways to simplify word problems with fractions. After watching all these lessons, you'll be prepared to:
- Compare and order fractions
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers
- Solve estimation problems with fractions
- Figure out complex fractions
- Compare decimals, fractions and whole numbers using a number line
- Use whole numbers to simplify word problems
These brief video lessons and quizzes help you master working with fractions. Expert instructors explain each concept, and let you test your knowledge with multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson. Written transcripts of every lesson are available. If you need to go back and review a troublesome topic, the timeline's jump feature makes it simple to find the right passage in the video without having to re-watch the entire thing.
1. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
2. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
3. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
4. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
5. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
6. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
7. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
8. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
9. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
11. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
12. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
13. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
14. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Contemporary Math: Help and Review course
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving: Help and Review
- How to Solve Word Problems: Help and Review
- Statistics Overview: Help and Review
- Probability Overview: Help and Review
- Understanding Discrete Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Normal Curve & Continuous Probability Distributions: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Voting: Help and Review
- The Mathematics of Apportionment: Help and Review
- Graph Theory: Help and Review
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Conics in Algebra
- Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Approaches to Math Word Problems
- Performing Basic Arithmetic
- Operations with Monomials and Polynomials
- Number Line & the Coordinate Graph