About This Chapter
Fractions, Decimals & Percents Overview - Chapter Summary
As you brush up on the basics of mathematics, you may have difficulty remembering the specific rules associated with fractions, decimals, and percents, but luckily this chapter can help you get up to speed on those details. These lessons focus on the various approaches to these mathematical concepts, and all lessons include definitions, formulas, and practical examples to help you re-learn the information. By going through the chapter, you should be able to recall how to do the following:
- Build and reduce fractions
- Find the least common denominator
- Solve problems with decimals
- Differentiate between decimals and fractions
- Solve one- and two-step word problems
- Evaluate a percent
- Convert between percent and decimal notation
- Apply problem-solving techniques while using percents
- Convert and perform calculations for percentages, decimals, and fractions
The video lessons are presented by professional instructors who discuss all the main concepts of the lesson, just like you were in an actual classroom. Not only do our instructors talk you through the lessons, but you will also get to see vocabulary words, definitions, and examples about how to solve equations displayed directly on the screen. Our video lessons move quickly, as they are usually shorter than eight minutes in duration, but those eight minutes are packed with the most essential information you need to know.
1. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
2. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
3. Working with Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will become well acquainted with decimals and how to work with them. Learn how you can use them to help you describe what is going on around you.
4. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
5. One- & Two-Step Word Problems: Fractions & Decimals
In this lesson, we will briefly review fractions and decimal numbers. We will then look at one and two-step word problems that involve these types of numbers and show examples of how to solve them.
6. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
7. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Knowing how to convert a percent to a decimal can be a useful skill in many different situations. This lesson will show you how to perform that conversion and places where this skill will be helpful.
8. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
The process of converting percents to fractions is quite easy if you know where to start. This lesson will show you how to perform the conversion and give some real-world examples.
9. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
10. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
11. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
12. Rounding Numbers: Definition & Rules
Rounding a number is useful when you want to estimate a value. To round a number, you need to follow three simple steps, which you will learn in this lesson.
13. How to Estimate Quantities Using Benchmarks
Sometimes you will be asked to estimate quantities, such as how much lasagna is left over from dinner. In this lesson, you will learn how to estimate quantities using benchmarks to describe whether something is 25%, 10%, or even almost 100% of the total.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL General Curriculum (03): Practice & Study Guide course
- History of the English Language
- Basic Grammar & Mechanics
- Teaching Literature & Literary Analysis
- Literary Genres
- Literary Elements & Concepts
- Children's Literature Genres & Characteristics
- The Writing Process
- Writing Styles & Techniques
- Paleolithic Era to the Agricultural Revolution
- Early Civilizations & the Rise of Western Imperialism
- Modern World History Overview
- The Start of the United States
- American History 1800 to 1900
- American History 1900 to 1950
- American History 1950 to Present Day
- US & Massachusetts Government
- Fundamentals of Economics & Capitalism
- Geography & Human Settlements
- Principles of Life Sciences
- Principles of Physical Science
- Earth & Space Science
- Foundations of Scientific Thought
- Scientific Inquiry & Experimentation
- The Number System
- Factoring & Divisibility Rules
- Number Operations
- Basic Algebraic Concepts & Practice
- Introduction to Functions & Graphs
- Understanding & Solving Linear Functions
- Concepts of Measurement
- Geometric Shapes & Principles
- Understanding Descriptive Statistics
- Understanding Probability
- MTEL General Curriculum Flashcards