About This Chapter
Fractions, Decimals, Percents & Ratios - Chapter Summary
In this helpful chapter, our instructors present ratios, decimals, percents and fractions for your review. Some of the topics covered here include the process used to simplify fractions plus problem solving, scale factors and more. This chapter is designed to help you achieve the following objectives:
- Provide examples of equivalent fractions
- Use fraction strips to model fraction equivalents
- Explain what ratios and proportions are
- Solve math problems that involve rates
- Outline the formula used for scale factor
- Understand how to work with decimals
- Convert and calculate fractions, percentages and decimals
- Problem-solve using percents
Even the toughest topics are easy to understand with these helpful and user-friendly learning tools. Expert instructors have created these lessons to make these concepts approachable and simple to learn. We've ensured you're able to study at any time that you'd like by making these resources accessible 24 hours a day on your mobile device or computer. If you have any questions as you move through the chapter, feel free to submit them to one of our instructors through the Dashboard.
1. Simplifying Fractions: Examples & Explanation
The process of simplifying fractions requires you to reduce a fraction to its smallest form. This lesson will give two methods for simplifying fractions, and a quiz at the end will allow for some practice.
2. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
3. How to Model Fraction Equivalents with Fraction Strips
Fraction strips are a great tool to help teachers show students equivalent fractions. In this lesson, we go over how to make fraction strips, as well as how to incorporate their use in the classroom for both like and unlike denominators.
4. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
5. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
6. What is a Scale Factor? - Definition, Formula & Examples
How does a carpenter know the correct length of a room on a blueprint? How can a graphic designer tell if an enlarged picture will be distorted? Learn what a scale factor is and how you can use it in this article!
7. Working with Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will become well acquainted with decimals and how to work with them. Learn how you can use them to help you describe what is going on around you.
8. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
9. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science (088): Practice & Study Guide course
- Working with Real Numbers
- Understanding Number Theory & Estimation
- Overview of Basic Algebra
- Patterns & Sequences in Algebra
- Characteristics & Relationships of Functions
- Solving Basic Geometric Problems
- Points, Lines, Rays & Angles
- Solving Angle Problems with Triangles & Quadrilaterals
- Geometric Relationships in the Coordinate Plane
- Solving Problems Involving Systems of Measurement
- Displaying & Interpreting Data
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Statistical Models & Processes
- Understanding Probability, Combinations & Permutations
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- Atoms, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Concepts of Mechanics Overview
- Electricity & Magnetism Overview
- Waves & Optics Overview
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Understanding Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Rocks, Minerals & Soil Overview
- Earth's Structure, Shape & Processes
- Historical Geology
- Understanding the Earth's Oceans
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate, Seasons & Geography
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science Flashcards