About This Chapter
Fractions Lesson Plans & Activities - Chapter Summary
Prepare engaging fraction lessons your students will love by reviewing informative lesson plans and activity ideas. This chapter covers a wide variety of math topics to ensure you have the information needed to incorporate fractions into your lessons. Lesson plans offer tips and strategies that include learning objectives, lesson instructions and discussion questions to enhance your curriculum. Accompanying those plans are lessons you can use to strengthen class discussions. Topics covered in this chapter include:
- Fractions and equivalent fractions
- How to add and subtract fractions
- Finding the least common multiple
- Multiplying and dividing fractions
Lesson plans provide you with the tools and resources you need to create in-depth lessons that can get your students excited about fractions. Use the quizzes with the accompanying lessons to assess their knowledge of fraction concepts.
How It Helps
- Detailed lesson plans: Offers comprehensive lesson plans with resources that include learning objectives, lesson instructions, project ideas and vocabulary words
- Lessons and activities: Gives you access to supplemental lessons and activities to enhance the class experience
- Curriculum standards: Ensures ideas included in the lesson plans align with education standards
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning fractions lessons and activities easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific math topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your fractions class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related fraction, equivalent fraction, and least common multiple lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important math concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant fraction-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Comparing Fractions Lesson Plan
Teach your students how to compare and order fractions with this engaging video-based lesson. Simple step-by-step directions are illustrated, along with guided learning examples. Apply learning to a hands-on activity to solidify concepts.
3. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
4. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
5. Equivalent Fraction Activities
To understand equivalent fractions, students must have a deep understanding of what fractions really mean. Help them develop that knowledge with a few of these ideas for equivalent fraction activities.
6. Least Common Multiple Lesson Plan
What is the least common multiple? A video lesson explains the nuts and bolts of least common multiple (LCM) while an activity allows students to practice calculating it. Related lessons and class extensions are provided for additional instruction.
7. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
8. Fractions, Decimals & Percents Games & Activities
Many processes and steps are involved in converting between fractions, decimals, and percentages. Check out these games and activities to help students come to grips with these topics.
9. Multiplying Fractions Games & Activities
There are lots of ways to teach multiplying fractions that are fun and engaging. Here are some ideas for classroom games and activities you can try for yourself.
10. Dividing Fractions Games & Activities
We can teach our students about how to divide fractions, and give them consistent practice in lots of ways. But we can keep it particularly light and fun if we have our students play games and activities. Check out these ideas.
11. Math Drills on Multiplying & Dividing Fractions
All math skills require practice, and lots of it. We can help give students the practice they need with math drills. Check out a few of these ideas for multiplication and division of fractions.
12. Essential Questions for Fractions
If you are planning a unit on fractions, you will want to understand the essential questions that underlie your study. This lesson provides a list of essential questions pertaining to fractions and how they work.
13. Equivalent Fractions Games & Activities
There are lots of ways to make learning about equivalent fractions more engaging. Check out some of these games and activities that attempt to do just that.
14. Reducing Fractions Games
Simplifying fractions takes practice. That practice can be fun, if we do it using games. Check out a few of these ideas for games we can use to help our students practice reducing fractions.
15. Simplifying Fractions Lesson Plan
This lesson plan uses an engaging video to help you lead students through the process of simplifying fractions. Students define terms, then learn how and why to simplify fractions before playing a fun game.
16. Simplifying Fractions: Examples & Explanation
The process of simplifying fractions requires you to reduce a fraction to its smallest form. This lesson will give two methods for simplifying fractions, and a quiz at the end will allow for some practice.
17. Reciprocals Lesson Plan
Using a text lesson, quiz and discussion questions as well as a mini-activity and a fun game, this lesson plan will help students learn about and understand reciprocals.
18. What is a Reciprocal? - Definition & Examples
Do you know what a reciprocal is in math? Well, in this lesson, you'll learn how to define the term, go give some examples and provide some key facts about reciprocals. You'll also have the chance to answer some questions and solve some problems about reciprocals.
19. Fractions in Everyday Life Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, we help our students understand and recognize fractions and how frequently they are used in real life. An activity will encourage students to explore their surroundings in search of real-life applications of mathematical principles.
20. Using Fractions in Everyday Life: Examples & Importance
Fractions are not just there to give you a headache. Actually, you probably already use fractions without even knowing it. And without fractions, you wouldn't be able to tell time or cook with recipes. Learn more in this lesson.
21. Cooking with Fractions Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan as a resource in teaching your students about fractions and capacity. With it, students will read two text lessons that will explain how fractions relate to capacity before they practice using fractions in a real-world scenario.
22. What are Fractions? - Definition & Examples
Fractions aren't as confusing as most people think. Learn how fractions work by examining a few of their common uses in everyday life. Then, test your new knowledge with a post-lesson quiz.
23. Capacity Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
You may not even know it, but you use capacity every day! It's all around you - in the glass of milk you pour, the bin you put your toys in, even in your bowl of cereal! In this lesson, you will learn the definition of and important facts about capacity.
24. Fraction Art Projects for Elementary School
Students often struggle with fractions and are intimidated by the rules and the language. Using art as a means to teach and reinforce fracton concepts with students can be a fun and tactile way for students to learn.
25. Inequalities Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this lesson plan to help guide your students in exploring the concept of place value by learning about inequalities. Hands-on math centers will give students the opportunity to practice creating inequalities and they will test their knowledge with a quiz.
26. Inequalities in Math Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about inequalities, including the symbols used in writing inequalities, writing inequalities using variables, and how inequalities can be useful in the real world
27. Fraction Museum Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will assist your students in learning about the concept of fraction museums. They will also participate in activities that will utilize actual fraction museums and their own exhibits.
28. Teaching Fractions to Elementary Students
In this lesson, you will learn strategies for teaching fractions using hands-on materials and simple games. Students take apart and put together equal parts of the whole as they explore the meaning of a fraction.
29. Activities for Using Manipulatives to Teach Fractions
Research tells us an engaged student gains an enhanced learning experience. Incorporating manipulatives in teaching fractions will help students understand the concept well.
30. Hands-on Fraction Activities for Elementary School
Learning about fractions is an important aspect of math in the upper-elementary grades. This lesson offers hands-on activities that will make teaching fractions to your young students fun and engaging.
31. Visual Aids for Teaching Fractions
Do you need some ideas for visual aids to help teach your students about fractions? Look no further! This lesson provides numerous options for visual aids so that students can see and hold fractional parts to deepen their understanding of fractions.
32. Fraction Circle Activities
Fraction circles are a great way to help students learn about fractions. The activities found in this lesson are designed to get students working with fractions in hands-on, minds-on ways.
33. Multiplying Fractions by Whole Numbers Activities
If you're teaching your students how to multiply fractions by whole numbers, it can help to have some activities that let them practice and apply their knowledge. This lesson provides activities that appeal to different learning styles.
34. Rounding Whole Numbers Activities & Games
If you're looking to engage your students in activities and games to help them learn about rounding whole numbers, you've come to the right place! This lesson contains ideas that are sure to make your rounding unit fun and meaningful for students.
35. Whole Number Operations Games
Teaching your students about whole number operations? Want to make your lesson a bit more interesting and engaging? Read on! This lesson contains a few game ideas that are sure to help your students learn about whole number operations.
36. Real-World Fractions Activities
Looking for ways to bring your fractions unit into the real world? This lesson contains a few ideas for activities that engage students with some of the fractions they can find in the world around them.
37. Doubling a Recipe Lesson Plan
This lesson plan teaches students how to double a recipe. It contains a refresher on adding fractions and mixed numbers as well as multiplying fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers. It concludes with a fun cooking project.
38. Comparing & Ordering Fractions Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help students understand equivalent fractions and determine the order of fractions with different denominators from least to greatest.
39. Comparing Fractions Activities & Games
Do fractions scare your students? Use these fun games and interactive classroom activities to get your students enthusiastic about learning to compare fractions.
40. Simplifying Fractions Activities & Games
When your class is studying fractions, learning how to simplify a fraction is an important skill to learn. Use these activities and games to help students master the concept of simplifying fractions.
41. Least Common Denominator Activities
Finding the least common denominator can be daunting for some students. This lesson offers activities to help students practice finding the least common denominator and see that fractions in math can be fun.
42. Common Denominator Games
If your students are learning about fractions, they will need to understand how to find a common denominator. This lesson offers some games that make finding a common denominator fun!
43. Equivalent Fractions Lesson Plan
Working with your students on defining and identifying equivalent fractions? This lesson plan will step your students through the terms and concept using an engaging video. Follow up with a hands-on game to reinforce concepts.
44. Fractions Lesson Plan
Introducing your students to fractions? Use this Study.com lesson plan to explain and define different types of fractions, like equivalent and improper. See examples of each. Apply skills with a fun activity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Elementary Math: Lesson Plans & Resources course