About This Chapter
Fractions & Mixed Numbers - Chapter Summary
In this chapter's lessons, our instructors will guide you through adding, multiplying, subtracting and dividing with fractions and mixed numbers. You'll also find out why it's important to know how to find the least common denominator and see how to reduce fractions. After watching these videos, you should be able to:
- Build and reduce fractions
- Find least common denominators
- Add and subtract like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- Multiply and divide with fractions and mixed numbers
These brief lessons, developed and taught by experts in the field, are packed with practice problems and examples to let you see what's being discussed. Each lesson is followed by a short quiz that allows you to assess your learning and also get experience taking a computer-based multiple-choice exam.
1. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
2. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
3. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
4. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
5. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
6. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
7. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
8. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OGET Oklahoma General Education Test (CEOE) (174): Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing Structure & Organization
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Passages
- Evaluating Arguments & Reasoning
- Audience & Purpose in Writing
- Parts of Speech in English Grammar
- Sentence Elements & Structure
- Standard Conventions of Essay Writing
- Interpreting & Analyzing Mathematical Data
- Logic & Problem Solving in Math
- Decimals, Percents & Ratios
- Exponents & Scientific Notation
- Algebraic Functions
- Geometric Shapes & Properties
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Developing & Writing an Essay
- Writing Skills Development
- OGET Oklahoma General Education Test (CEOE) (074) Flashcards