About This Chapter
Fractions & Percents - Chapter Summary
How much do you know about fractions and percents? Find out by reviewing the engaging lessons in this chapter. Refresh your knowledge of how to perform mathematical operations on fractions, percents, mixed numbers, percent notation and more. Completing this chapter can ensure you're able to:
- Raise, reduce, compare and order fractions
- Find least common denominators
- Add and subtract like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers
- Convert from percent notation to decimal notation and fraction notation
- Change between decimals and percents, and decimals and fractions
- Solve word problems that use percents
Each lesson features a self-assessment quiz you can use to gauge your comprehension of fractions and percents. If you answer any quiz questions incorrectly, click the link next to the answer to return to the related portion of the video lesson and get a quick review. A chapter exam is available to reinforce lesson concepts. If you have questions about any topics covered in this chapter, feel free to submit them to our experts.
1. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
To raise a fraction, the same number is multiplied by the numerator and the denominator; to reduce a fraction, division by the same number is used. Learn how to raise and reduce fractions with examples.
2. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding the least common denominator requires calculating the least common multiple of two or more denominators. Learn the definition of multiples, explore how to use them to find the least common denominator, and understand the examples.
3. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
When comparing and ordering fractions, you need to have a common denominator. Learn how to find the common denominator and understand how to compare and order fractions.
4. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
In mathematics, an improper fraction has a denominator that is smaller than its numerator, and a mixed number is composed of an integer paired with a proper fraction. Practice examples to learn how to change between the forms for improper fractions and mixed numbers. Understand when each form is appropriate and should be used over the alternate form.
5. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
After determining a common denominator in a problem with mixed numbers and fractions, adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers requires two more steps. Learn how to add and subtract like fractions and mixed numbers, and review examples.
6. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Some of the most commonly seen forms of fractions are unlike fractions and mixed numbers. Learn to add and subtract unlike fractions and mixed numbers by reviewing how fractions are handled then explore these processes using real-life examples.
7. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions can be multiplied, even when presented as mixed numbers, where an integer accompanies a fraction. Demonstrate understanding through solving examples in dollars, and practicing multiplying fractions and mixed numbers.
8. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions can be divided even when presented as mixed numbers, which is where an integer accompanies a fraction. Practice the division of fractions and mixed numbers in a series of practical scenarios.
9. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Numbers expressed in a percent can be converted to decimal notation quickly. Learn how to use percentages and decimals to navigate the world of pricing and taxes with ease.
10. Converting Percent Notation to Fraction Notation
Converting a percent notation to a fraction notation involves changing the percent number to a fraction that has 100 as the denominator and then reducing the fraction. Learn more about the definition of a percent notation and how to convert it into a fraction notation through two examples.
11. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
In mathematics, decimals and percents both represent numbers that are not whole. Explore how to identify decimals and percents, and learn how to change a number from a decimal to a percent, as well as from a percent to a decimal.
12. Converting Decimals to Fractions (and Back)
In mathematics, decimals and fractions both represent numbers that are not whole. Learn how to convert decimals to fractions, as well as how to convert fractions to decimals. Work problems to gain more understanding.
13. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
To solve percent word problems, one follows four steps. Learn different ways of finding the percent, about finding the whole and the part, and percent change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the PCAT: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Verbal Ability: Analogies
- Verbal Ability: Sentence Completion
- Biology: Cell Structure & Division
- Biology: Cellular Processes
- Biology: DNA & Enzymes
- Biology: Genetics
- Animal & Human Behavior
- Biology: Evolution & Natural Selection
- Speciation, Extinction & Taxonomy
- Biology: Intro to Nutrition
- Biology: Nutrition - Carbohydrates
- Biology: Nutrition - Lipids
- Protein in Nutrition
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Biology: Types of Diseases
- Microrganisms & Microbial Ecology
- Medical Microbiology
- Microbiology: The Immune System
- Structures of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Human Skeletal System
- Muscular System
- The Human Nervous System
- Human Circulatory System Basics
- The Circulatory System, Blood & Blood Vessels
- Respiratory System
- Urinary Systems & Structures
- Functions of the Human Digestive System
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Integumentary System Overview
- The Five Senses of the Human Body
- The Atom and Atomic Theory
- Chemical Bonding in Physical Chemistry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Solids
- Gas Laws
- Kinetics & Thermodynamics
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Nuclear Processes
- Organic & Inorganic Chemistry
- Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- Solving Algebraic Equations
- Linear Equations Overview
- Inequalities Overview
- Understanding the Basics of Functions
- Interpreting Tables & Plots
- Basic Statistics & Probability
- Linear Regression & Correlation
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Complex Numbers & Vectors
- Limits of Functions
- Overview of Continuity
- Rate of Change & Calculating Derivatives
- Integrals & Antiderivatives
- PCAT Flashcards