About This Chapter
Freshwater Characteristics & Processes - Chapter Summary
With the lessons in this chapter, you can refresh your knowledge or learn new information in relation to freshwater. These are science topics that are important to know. In this chapter, you will review the following subjects:
- Lakes vs. ponds
- Types and function of wetlands
- How rivers and streams form on Earth
- The importance of groundwater and its role in sustaining life
- Different types of wells
- Classification of springs such as how they flow and how strong they flow
- Important geysers such as Old Faithful
When you use the lessons in this chapter, it will deepen your knowledge of the topics listed above. After each lesson, there are self-assessment quizzes to test your knowledge. These short quizzes feature multiple-choice questions, and they give you immediate feedback. This allows you to quickly find out what you have successfully retained and what you have not. When finished with the whole chapter, make sure you take the chapter exam. This will test you on the material found in each of the lessons.
1. Lakes & Ponds: Formation & Features
After reading this lesson, you'll see just how similar lakes and ponds are along with what differentiates them. You'll now be able to tell your friend whether the body of water in his backyard is a lake or a pond.
2. What Are Wetlands? - Definition & Types
Also called Earth's kidneys, wetlands are dynamic and unique environments. Found all over the world, wetlands come in many different types and serve a variety of important functions.
3. How Rivers and Streams Affect the Earth's Surface
Rivers and streams are powerful, ever-changing systems that can alter the surface of the Earth. While they share many similar features, they can be vastly different. In this lesson, we will learn how rivers and streams form, transport sediment, and flood.
4. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
5. Wells: Definition & Types
Wells are used all over the world and are an important source of water for many people. In this video lesson you will identify different types of wells, as well understand their underground source of water.
6. Springs: Definition, Formation & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about springs and how they form. You will also understand how springs are classified based on how they flow as well as how strongly they flow.
7. Geyser: Definition & Explanation
Learn about how geysers like Old Faithful create spectacular explosions of water and steam. Explore geysers from Yellowstone National Park to Iceland to the ocean floor deep under the Pacific Ocean.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards