About This Chapter
FSA Grade 8 Math: Algebraic Expressions - Chapter Summary
You can use this chapter to help your student review the formulas and steps for solving algebraic expression-related problems on the FSA - Grade 8 Math test. This chapter covers:
- Converting negative exponents
- Finding square roots and cube roots
- Converting and comparing numbers in scientific notation
- Proportional relationships
- Recognizing the constant of proportionality
- Using equations to represent proportional relationships
You can view the video lessons, review the written transcripts, and go back through the videos topic by topic with our interactive timeline feature. Along the way, there are quizzes and practice exams to help your student retain the information and prepare for the real test.
FSA Grade 8 Math: Algebraic Expressions Chapter Objectives
The FSA Grade 8 Math test is used by the Florida Department of Education to measure the progress of 8th grade math students against the educational standards set for them by the state. This chapter is designed with lessons related specifically to the Expressions and Equations test section, which makes up 30% of the exam. Questions on the exam include multiple-choice, open-response and technology-enhanced items.
1. Changing Negative Exponents to Fractions
A negative exponent isn't like a normal exponent. In this lesson, we'll learn about negative exponents and how they lead us to fractions. We'll practice with numbers and variables.
2. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
3. Evaluating Square Roots of Perfect Squares
Squares and square roots are inverse, or opposite, operations involving radicals. Learn how to determine the square root of perfect squares in this lesson.
4. How to Find the Cube Root of a Number
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the process of finding the cube root of a number. Learn which numbers have an easy cube root to find and what the cube root means.
5. Converting Numbers to Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert any number you come across into scientific notation. You will also learn why scientific notation is used and where you are most likely to see it.
6. Comparing Numbers Written in Scientific Notation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to compare numbers written in scientific notation with each other. You will learn how to tell which is larger and which is smaller.
7. Proportional Relationships Between Two Quantities
When two values always maintain the same ratio, forming the same fraction when you divide them, they have a proportional relationship. In this lesson, you can learn about proportional relationships between two quantities.
8. Identifying the Constant of Proportionality
Constants of proportionality might sound like something complicated, but chances are, you've encountered them before. In this lesson, we'll explore the constant of proportionality and how to find it.
9. Representing Proportional Relationships by Equations
After you read this lesson, you'll see just how easy it is to find an equation that represents your proportional relationship. You'll learn the formula you can use to find your equation for any proportion you have.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FSA - Grade 8 Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: The Real Number System
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Linear Equations
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Functions
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Congruence and Similarity
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Pythagorean Theorem
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Cylinders, Cones and Spheres
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Statistics and Probability
- FSA - Grade 8 Math Flashcards