About This Chapter
FSA - Grade 8 Math: Statistics and Probability - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help your student understand how to work with and interpret statistical data to solve problems and reveal statistical relationships. The lessons in the chapter include:
- Definition of bivariate data
- Creation of scatterplots
- Linear regression, definition and use
- Interpretation of correlations
- Interpretation of linear relationships
- Definition of categorical data
- Information about two-way tables
Our brief and entertaining video lessons can be viewed as many times as necessary and, with the interactive timeline, can be searched for the exact topic the student needs to review. Any needed clarification can be found by asking the teacher a question under the teacher tab. In addition, the chapter quizzes and practice exams can be used to help the student prepare for the real test.
FSA - Grade 8 Math: Statistics and Probability Objectives
This study chapter will help your student with the 18% of the FSA - Grade 8 Math test that covers statistics and probability. The purpose of this computer-based test is to gauge the academic development of 8th-grade Floridians in mathematics. The test is made up of three different types of questions: multiple choice, open answer, and technology-enhanced (questions that are interactive in some way).
1. What is Bivariate Data? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will be learning about the definition and uses of bivariate data. We will also compare and contrast the characteristics of univariate data and bivariate data.
2. Creating & Interpreting Scatterplots: Process & Examples
Scatterplots are a great visual representation of two sets of data. In this lesson, you will learn how to interpret bivariate data to create scatterplots and understand the relationship between the two variables.
3. Simple Linear Regression: Definition, Formula & Examples
Simple linear regression is a great way to make observations and interpret data. In this lesson, you will learn to find the regression line of a set of data using a ruler and a graphing calculator.
4. Problem Solving Using Linear Regression: Steps & Examples
Linear regression can be a powerful tool for predicting and interpreting information. Learn to use two common formulas for linear regression in this lesson.
5. How to Interpret Correlations in Research Results
Perhaps the most common statistic you'll see from psychology is a correlation. Do you know how to correctly interpret correlations when you see them? This lesson covers everything you need to know.
6. Interpreting Linear Relationships Using Data: Practice Problems
Understanding linear relationships is an important part of understanding statistics. This lesson will help you review linear relationships and will go through three practice problems to help you retain your knowledge. When you are finished, test out your knowledge with a short quiz!
7. What is Categorical Data? - Definition & Examples
Categorical data is one of two types of data that you can collect when conducting research. This lesson will teach you how to understand and use categorical data.
8. What is a Two-Way Table?
Do you believe in Martians? Do you watch football on television? A Two-Way Table or Contingency Table is a great way to show the results of all kinds of survey questions. In this video we will learn how to read a two-way table.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FSA - Grade 8 Math: Test Prep & Practice course
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: The Real Number System
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Algebraic Expressions
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Linear Equations
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Functions
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Congruence and Similarity
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Pythagorean Theorem
- FSA - Grade 8 Math: Cylinders, Cones and Spheres
- FSA - Grade 8 Math Flashcards