About This Chapter
FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Acquiring & Using Vocabulary - Chapter Summary
Learning new vocabulary words greatly improves writing abilities. Once you add to your knowledge of words and word meanings, you are more easily able to incorporate them within your writing to create descriptive and concise essays. This combination of video and text lessons are created by expert instructors who will guide you through topics such as:
- Understanding word meaning through context and word relationships
- Techniques for learning and using new vocabulary
- Identifying standardized test vocabulary and using reference materials to define words
- Analyzing the affixes and roots of words to determine their meaning
After studying the information outlined in these useful lessons, further prepare for the FSA Grade 9-10 ELA exam by using the lesson quizzes and chapter exam. These resources help you review the information and identify areas you may need to re-examine for better understanding. You can also print out the corresponding quiz worksheets and transcripts for the video lessons that include highlighted key words.
1. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
2. Strategies for Acquiring and Using New Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will discuss methods for growing our vocabulary and putting the new words into practice. We will also learn how to discover the meaning of words based on the context, the surrounding information.
3. Standardized Test Vocabulary
This lesson will highlight vocabulary terms that are commonly associated with standardized assessment tests. A short quiz will follow that will allow you to test your knowledge.
4. Understanding Words By Their Relationships
Many words in the English language have multiple meanings. To really understand a word, we have to understand the relationship between particular words. In this lesson, we will examine this through connotations, denotations, synonyms, and analogies.
5. Using Reference Materials for Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will explore various reference materials that will allow you to increase your vocabulary. Common reference materials include dictionaries, glossaries, and thesauruses.
6. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA: Test Prep & Practice course
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Writing Clearly & Effectively
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Effective Research Skills
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Citing Sources in Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Revising & Proofreading Written Work
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Devices
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding & Responding to Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Texts for Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Genres
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Key Ideas in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Informational Text for Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Argumentative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Informative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Narrative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Collaborative Communication
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Public Speaking Skills
- FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA Flashcards