About This Chapter
FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Argumentative Writing- Chapter Summary
If you want to improve your understanding of argumentative writing, these text and video lessons can be extremely useful. All of the information you'll come across in these lessons may be included on the Florida Standards Assessments (FSA) Grade 9-10 English Language Arts exam. Each lesson teaches you about a different topic you may need to know for the exam, such as:
- The definition, format and examples of argumentative essays
- Different parts of an argument
- Structuring an argument
- Assessing the validity of sources
- Analyzing an argument's effectiveness
- Writing great arguments, introductions and conclusions
The chapter also contains practice quizzes that you can use to prepare for the types of questions on the actual FSA Grade 9-10 ELA exam. If you have any questions as you study, you can submit them to the instructor for clarification.
1. Argumentative Essay: Definition, Format & Examples
Argumentative essays are kind of like superpowers: they allow you to get what you want using the superpower of persuasion. View this lesson and learn how to channel persuasion to write a good essay.
2. Parts of An Argument: Claims, Counterclaims, Reasons, and Evidence
To effectively write an argument, you need to know the four basic parts. In this lesson, you will learn the definitions of the four basic parts and why you need them in an argument.
3. How to Structure an Argument in Your Essay
When you write a persuasive essay, it's important to think about how you'll construct your argument, from how you'll arrange your major points to how and where you'll refute opposing views. This video covers some of the basics for structuring an argument.
4. Assessing the Reliability and Validity of Sources
In the business world, any research material must have support that can provide validity and reliability. The support must be credible and have documentation to show that it is well-researched, professional, peer-reviewed and recent.
5. How to Analyze an Argument's Effectiveness & Validity
In this lesson, we will learn how to analyze an argument. We will pay close attention to the parts of an argument and the questions we must ask about each of those parts in order to determine the argument's effectiveness and validity.
6. How to Write a Great Argument
Many times our writing must not just be informative but it must also be persuasive. One of the best ways to be very persuasive is to use a great argument. Learn six steps you can follow to write a great argument.
7. Introductions and Conclusions: Best Practices and Advice
Take the opportunity in your introductory and concluding paragraphs to create good impressions. This lesson walks you through a variety of methods for making the most of the first and last paragraphs in your academic essay.
8. Supporting Your Writing with Examples and Evidence
Watch this lesson to learn how to make strong arguments and write better papers by using evidence effectively. It's not just about piling on a bunch of facts!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA: Test Prep & Practice course
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Acquiring & Using Vocabulary
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Writing Clearly & Effectively
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Effective Research Skills
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Citing Sources in Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Revising & Proofreading Written Work
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Devices
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding & Responding to Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Texts for Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Genres
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Key Ideas in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Informational Text for Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Informative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Narrative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Collaborative Communication
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Public Speaking Skills
- FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA Flashcards