About This Chapter
FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Informative Writing - Chapter Summary
The FSA Grade 9-10 English Language Arts exam may contain questions assessing you on different types of writing, and these lessons specifically help you study up on informative writing. The lessons go over topics such as:
- The definition and structure of informative writing
- Writing objectively
- Introducing topics with a summary
- How to organize and categorize ideas and information
- Precise language
- Using and evaluating sources
- Elements of effective conclusions
You'll also find practice quizzes that help ensure that you've understood all of these informative writing topics. Use our study guides to prepare and increase your chances of doing well on the FSA Grade 9-10 English Language Arts exam.
1. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
2. Objective Writing: Definition & Examples
Literally meaning 'uninfluenced by personal feelings in representing facts,' objective writing strives to do just that. This lesson will discuss the purpose of objective writing, as well as show you how to both identify and use it to your advantage, through examples and quizzing.
3. How to Introduce a Topic Clearly With a Summary Preview
Here's a simple, surefire way to write an introduction for your paper, including a summary preview (or what some teachers call a thesis statement). This works for almost all papers, including definition, classification, comparison/contrast or cause/effect papers. Try this simple approach to set up your paper easily.
4. Organizing and Categorizing Ideas, Concepts and Information
In this lesson, you will learn clear, simple ways to group your ideas together. First, you'll figure out what the paper is about, and then the rest is easy!
5. The Importance of Using Precise Language in Writing
The simple tips in this lesson will help your writing come to life. Learn how to choose particular nouns and verbs that are active or that show precise states of being, perfect modifiers, and, as an added bonus, a very powerful writing tool: similes.
6. How to Use Sources to Write Essays and Evaluate Evidence
When writing an essay, you will often be asked to utilize appropriate sources for evidence, including facts and definitions. In this video, we will talk about the ways we can utilize and evaluate sources and evidence.
7. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA: Test Prep & Practice course
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Acquiring & Using Vocabulary
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Writing Clearly & Effectively
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Effective Research Skills
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Citing Sources in Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Revising & Proofreading Written Work
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Devices
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding & Responding to Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Texts for Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Genres
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Key Ideas in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Informational Text for Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Argumentative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Narrative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Collaborative Communication
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Public Speaking Skills
- FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA Flashcards