About This Chapter
FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Narrative Writing - Chapter Summary
When studying for the Florida Standards Assessments (FSA) Grade 9-10 English Language Arts exam, you should spend a portion of your time studying the subject of narrative writing. The lessons you will find in this chapter will serve as excellent study guides for questions you'll encounter on this subject. Each lesson will teach you a different point that you might need to know for the exam, such as:
- Types and examples of narrative writing
- Narrative essay characteristics
- Types of narrative techniques and narrative hooks
- The use of descriptive details and sensory language
- Writing an objective summary
- Concluding narratives with reflection
The chapter also contains practice quiz questions that help you make sure you've accurately understood all of the information presented in the lessons. Once you've completed the chapter, you'll find that you are much better prepared for the actual FSA Grade 9-10 ELA exam.
1. What is Narrative Writing? - Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what makes a piece of writing a narrative. Examples are also given to illustrate the specific types of narrative writing.
2. Narrative Essay: Definition, Examples & Characteristics
Essays come in many forms. In this lesson, you'll learn all about a narrative essay, from its basic definition to the key characteristics that make for an engaging and effective essay.
3. Narrative Techniques in Writing: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will examine various types of narrative techniques in writing, as well as examples of the literary techniques relevant to style, plot, and perspective/point of view.
4. What is a Narrative Hook? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in understanding components of narrative hooks found in literature and how they can be applied to your writing. Learn more about narrative hooks, and test your understanding through a quiz.
5. How to Use Descriptive Details & Sensory Language in Your Writing
When you write a narrative, you can draw your reader into your experiences by adding specific, concrete details to your storytelling. This lesson tells you exactly how to do it.
6. How Transitions Show Shifts, Sequence & Relationships in Your Writing
When you write just about any kind of paper, whether it's story writing or essay writing, use transitions to help your reader make connections and move easily through your paper. Here are some specific ways to use transitions.
7. Writing an Objective Summary of a Story
In this lesson, you'll learn exactly what teachers mean when they ask for an objective summary, and you'll learn how to write one as well. Finally, you can test your understanding with a short quiz.
8. Concluding Your Narrative with Reflection
Sometimes, after telling a story in our narrative essays, we need a little something more in the conclusion to help the reader understand our meaning. Personal reflections do this.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA: Test Prep & Practice course
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Acquiring & Using Vocabulary
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Writing Clearly & Effectively
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Effective Research Skills
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Citing Sources in Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Revising & Proofreading Written Work
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Devices
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding & Responding to Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Texts for Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Genres
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Key Ideas in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Informational Text for Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Argumentative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Informative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Collaborative Communication
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Public Speaking Skills
- FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA Flashcards