About This Chapter
FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Revising & Proofreading Written Work - Chapter Summary
If you haven't taken a close look at the process of revising and proofreading written work in a while, this chapter can help. Review entertaining text and video lessons that cover revising, editing, writing pitfalls and more to ensure you're ready for questions on the FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA test related to:
- Writing revision and how to edit and improve essay content
- Editing for mechanics and content
- Proofread for spelling and grammar
- The concept of self-editing
- Editing essays by other writers
- Recognizing and avoiding writing pitfalls
This chapter is designed to deepen your understanding of revising and proofreading written work so you feel confident for the FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA exam. Make the most of the resources in this chapter by watching or reading the lessons in the sequence you desire and revisiting them as often as need. Test your comprehension of the lessons by taking self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. If you need additional details about any lesson topic, submit your questions to our experts.
1. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
2. How to Edit and Improve Essay Content
Going back through an essay that you've written in order to make substantive content improvements can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some basic principles that you can apply to whip your essay into shape.
3. Editing for Mechanics: Definition & Concept
Find out what 'editing for mechanics' means and how to apply it to your writing. Learn what to look for when you're editing for mechanics, and then take a quiz to test your new skills.
4. Editing for Content: Definition & Concept
Learn what editing for content means and how it's different from editing for spelling, punctuation and grammar. Review the list of things to look for in a content edit. Read the lesson, and then take the quiz to test your new knowledge.
5. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
6. Self-Editing: Definition & Concept
Self-editing is an arduous task that most writers do not particularly enjoy. It's tedious and often times grueling. But it's also necessary. Learn how to make the process easier and ultimately improve the overall quality of your writing.
7. Peer Editing: How to Edit Essays By Other Writers
Alfred Sheinwold once said, 'Learn all you can from the mistakes of others.' A great way to improve your own writing is by editing the writing of others - especially when you have to find the not so obvious mistakes. That is what we will be learning in this lesson - how to edit the work of other writers. The biggest benefit will be in helping you avoid those same mistakes in your own writing.
8. Common Writing Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
In addition to all the other things you do while writing an academic essay, you'll need to think about how to avoid common pitfalls. This lesson discusses how to steer clear of some common problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA: Test Prep & Practice course
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Acquiring & Using Vocabulary
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Writing Clearly & Effectively
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Effective Research Skills
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Citing Sources in Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Devices
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding & Responding to Literature
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Texts for Literary Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Literary Genres
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Key Ideas in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Craft & Structure in Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Understanding Informational Text
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Sample Informational Text for Analysis
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Argumentative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Informative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Narrative Writing
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Collaborative Communication
- FSA Grade 9-10 ELA: Public Speaking Skills
- FSA - Grades 9-10 ELA Flashcards