About This Chapter
FTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division - Chapter Summary
In the video lessons of this chapter, expert instructors will help you prepare for questions on the FTCE Biology exam about the cell cycle, cell division, the role of the genome and the formation of embryonic and stem cells. Some of the topics you will review in this chapter include:
- Functions and structures of the genome
- DNA packaging
- Phases of the cell cycle
- Mitosis and chromosome segregation
- Cytokinesis for plants and animals
- Differences between sexual and asexual reproduction
- Potential errors in cell division
Along with these video lessons, this chapter also includes lesson quizzes you may take to determine what topics you still want to review before taking the FTCE Biology 6-12. A jump feature in the video timelines takes you directly to key topics covered in the video lessons and lesson transcripts are available that highlights major concepts in bold. The lesson instructors are also available to answer questions you may have on a topic.
FTCE Biology 6-12: Cell Cycle & Division Objectives
The FTCE Biology 6-12 is the certification exam for 6th through 12th grade biology teachers in the state of Florida. When taking the exam, you can expect around 120 multiple-choice questions for which you will be given two hours and 30 minutes to complete. Of these questions, 7% are on cells' structures and functions, including the cell cycle and cell division, and 11% are on genetics. Completing this chapter will help you prepare for related questions in these two areas.
1. Basic Genetics: The Genome & Chromosomes
There are approximately 3 billion bases in the human genome. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the genome and its organization into chromosomes. We think about DNA often as the blueprint for life, but we can also think of it as the recipe for life with the nucleus being the library.
2. How is DNA Packaged? - Chromosome Condensation & Karyograms
Learn how DNA packaging makes it possible to fit approximately seven feet of DNA inside a single cell. You'll see how chromosome condensation helps cells get ready for cell division.
3. The Cell Cycle: Definition, Phases & Sequence
Learn about the dividing and non-dividing states of the cell and discover the different phases of the cell cycle, including interphase, cytokinesis, and the stages of cell division.
4. Cytokinesis: Animal Versus Plant Cells
What's a cell to do when it must divide in two? We'll explore cytokinesis and see how the process can differ in important ways when it comes to plant versus animal cells.
5. Asexual vs. Sexual Reproduction: Comparison & Characteristics
Did you know that some organisms can reproduce without a mate? Check out this video lesson on asexual versus sexual reproduction to discover the different ways organisms can reproduce and the main differences between mitosis and meiosis.
6. Nondisjunction & Aneuploidy: Definition & Examples
Learn why proper chromosome segregation is essential during meiosis. We'll see how having an extra chromosome can lead to Down Syndrome and also examine the consequences of having too few chromosomes. Disruptions to the delicate balance of cell division can have far-reaching effects.
7. What Is Cell Differentiation? - Process, Importance & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how your cells become specialized. This specialization of cells allows them to perform different functions and create different parts of your body.
8. Embryonic and Adult Stem Cells: Uses, Origins & Properties
How can we grow a brand new windpipe? Or a heart? In this lesson, we'll learn about embryonic and adult stem cells and how scientists are using them to give people a new lease on life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Test
- FTCE Biology: Basic Laboratory Concepts & Measurement
- FTCE Biology: Lab & Field Study Techniques
- FTCE Biology: Research Methods
- FTCE Biology: Science, Technology & Society
- FTCE Biology: Inorganic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Organic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- FTCE Biology: Enzymes
- FTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- FTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- FTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- FTCE Biology: Requirements of Biological Systems
- FTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- FTCE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Principles, Processes & Applications
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- FTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Organisms & Viruses
- FTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Plant Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- FTCE Biology: Evolution & Social Behavior of Animals
- FTCE Biology: Human Body Systems
- FTCE Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- FTCE Biology: Reproduction & Development
- FTCE Biology: Human Reproductive Systems
- FTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- FTCE Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- FTCE Biology: Evolution
- FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Flashcards