About This Chapter
FTCE Biology: Components of Florida's Ecosystems - Chapter Summary
This chapter has lessons on all the components of Florida's ecosystems, including the climate, location, plants and animals in freshwater biomes, types of marine organisms, and more. The instructors also cover management of marine resources and the characteristics of an estuary. By the end of this chapter, you should be ready to answers questions on the FCTE Biology exam related to:
- Identifying the characteristics of marine resources
- Defining and giving examples of an estuary
- Explaining a terrestrial ecosystem and listing its types
- Discussing how Florida's ecosystems are affected by human activities and natural factors
Each lesson in this chapter is prepared by an experienced instructor and is designed to help you prepare for the FTCE Biology exam. The lessons are short and you can work through them one at a time or all at once. Utilize the lesson transcripts and quizzes for more ways to study.
1. Freshwater Biomes: Climate, Locations, Plants & Animals
Freshwater biomes are very important to life on Earth. They are home to many different species and provide a lot of resources. In this lesson, we will go over what a freshwater biome is, where they are located, and the different plants and animals that inhabit them.
2. Types of Marine Organisms
Many marine organisms thrive under the surface of the ocean. Learn about the biodiversity of the oceans, from the microscopic plankton to the enormous whales, and how these organisms adapt to their oceanic environment.
3. Marine Resources: Characteristics, Formation & Management
What are marine resources? Learn about the characteristics, how they form, and some of the best ways we can manage them for future generations. Take a quiz to test your knowledge.
4. Estuary: Definition, Facts, Characteristics & Examples
Have you ever gone swimming, kayaking, or exploring in a marshy coastal area? If so, you were enjoying the natural beauty of an estuary, a place where rivers meet large bodies of water. These unique ecosystems are important, but also under threat.
5. What is a Terrestrial Ecosystem? - Definition, Examples & Types
There are a variety of different ecosystems all over the world. In this lesson, we will examine terrestrial ecosystems. This will allow us to gain an understanding of the living and non-living factors that makeup these dynamic ecosystems.
6. How Human Activities & Natural Factors Affect Florida's Ecosystems
With nearly 20 million residents and millions of other visitors, Florida's human population leaves a massive impact on its environment. Sinkholes, swamps, citrus farming, and phosphate mining only further the effects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Test
- FTCE Biology: Basic Lab Equipment, Processes & Measurements
- FTCE Biology: Research Methods
- FTCE Biology: Science, Technology & Society
- FTCE Biology: Inorganic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Organic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- FTCE Biology: Enzymes
- FTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- FTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- FTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- FTCE Biology: Requirements of Biological Systems
- FTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- FTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- FTCE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Principles, Processes & Applications
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- FTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Organisms & Viruses
- FTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Plant Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- FTCE Biology: Animal Systems, Behavior & Interactions
- FTCE Biology: Overview of the Human Body
- FTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- FTCE Biology: Evolutionary Mechanisms
- FTCE Biology: Origins of Life on Earth & Taxonomy
- FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Flashcards