About This Chapter
FTCE Biology: Enzymes - Chapter Summary
Passing the FTCE Biology 6-12 is a requirement for 6th through 12th grade biology teachers needing certification. Prepare for question on enzymes, cofactors and prosthetic groups through the series of lesson videos presented in this chapter. After watching these videos you should be ready to do the following:
- Explain the functions and interactions of coenzymes, cofactors and prosthetic groups
- Describe enzymatic inhibition and regulation
- Explain the role of enzymes in the body
Following these lesson videos, take the quizzes as a way to assess which topics you may still need to review. Revisit these topics using the provided links, which take you directly to the corresponding point in the video. You can also read over lesson transcripts, which highlight key terms in bold for easy reference.
1. Coenzymes, Cofactors & Prosthetic Groups: Function and Interactions
Some enzymes require helpers to recognize a substrate or complete a reaction. These helpers include cofactors, coenzymes, and prosthetic groups, which are required for some enzymes' functions.
2. Enzymatic Reactions: Inhibition and Regulation
Enzymes are generally not allowed to run uncontrolled in a cell. While they are useful in catalyzing reactions, there is a time and place for everything. In this lesson, we'll discuss enzyme activators and inhibitors that regulate these reactions positively and negatively, respectively.
3. What are Enzymes? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will discover what enzymes are, explore how they work, and learn why they're needed for your cells' day-to-day functions. The lesson concludes with a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Test
- FTCE Biology: Basic Lab Equipment, Processes & Measurements
- FTCE Biology: Research Methods
- FTCE Biology: Science, Technology & Society
- FTCE Biology: Inorganic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Organic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- FTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- FTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- FTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- FTCE Biology: Requirements of Biological Systems
- FTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- FTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- FTCE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Principles, Processes & Applications
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- FTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Organisms & Viruses
- FTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Plant Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- FTCE Biology: Animal Systems, Behavior & Interactions
- FTCE Biology: Overview of the Human Body
- FTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- FTCE Biology: Components of Florida's Ecosystems
- FTCE Biology: Evolutionary Mechanisms
- FTCE Biology: Origins of Life on Earth & Taxonomy
- FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Flashcards