About This Chapter
FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons and quizzes can show you about causes of genetic disorders and how mutations occur in DNA. Prepare for these types of questions on the FTCE Biology test by watching fun videos. Afterward, you should be ready to:
- Discuss genetic disorders due to penetrance and phenotypic variability
- Analyze how the environment can influence mutation rates
- Describe how mutations occur when DNA is copied incorrectly
- Define spontaneous and induced mutations
These videos are brief, about 5-10 minutes each, making it easy to review genetic mutation concepts you need to know about for the exam. You can also watch them from any location and on the go with your mobile device. Our instructors are experts in the field and are available to answer your questions about the material.
1. Genetic Disorders: Penetrance & Phenotypic Variability
Did you know that sometimes a dominant human genetic condition will skip a generation in a family? It does happen, and some dominant genetic conditions will also have a wide range of phenotypes, sometimes even within the same family. Learn more in this lesson about phenotypic variability!
2. Mutations: When DNA Is Copied Wrong
In this lesson, we will learn how mutations, or errors in DNA, come about, what kinds of effects they may have, and how they can impact populations as a whole.
3. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
4. Spontaneous vs. Induced Mutations
In this lesson you will learn about one of the aspects of nature that makes evolution possible: mutation. Specifically, we'll look at the difference between spontaneous and induced mutations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Test
- FTCE Biology: Basic Lab Equipment, Processes & Measurements
- FTCE Biology: Research Methods
- FTCE Biology: Science, Technology & Society
- FTCE Biology: Inorganic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Organic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- FTCE Biology: Enzymes
- FTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- FTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- FTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- FTCE Biology: Requirements of Biological Systems
- FTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- FTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- FTCE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Principles, Processes & Applications
- FTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Organisms & Viruses
- FTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Plant Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- FTCE Biology: Animal Systems, Behavior & Interactions
- FTCE Biology: Overview of the Human Body
- FTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- FTCE Biology: Components of Florida's Ecosystems
- FTCE Biology: Evolutionary Mechanisms
- FTCE Biology: Origins of Life on Earth & Taxonomy
- FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Flashcards