About This Chapter
FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons and quizzes can show you about causes of genetic disorders and how mutations occur in DNA. Prepare for these types of questions on the FTCE Biology test by watching these videos. Afterwards, you should be ready to:
- Discuss penetrance and phenotypic variability
- Define and name the types of DNA point mutations
- Explain what mutagens are
- Analyze how the environment can influence mutation rates
These videos are brief, about 5-10 minutes each, making it easy to review genetic mutation concepts you need to know about for the exam. You can also watch them from any location and on the go with your mobile device. Our instructors are experts in the field and are available to answer your questions about the material.
Objectives of the FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations Chapter
Florida requires passing the FTCE Biology exam in order to become certified to teach biology. The questions related to lessons in the Genetic Mutations chapter are included in the exam's section on knowledge of genetic principles, processes, and applications. This section makes up 11% of the 120-question FTCE exam.
The exam questions are all multiple-choice. Some are direct questions, others present a scenario or case study. Some require you to complete a statement, and others are commands. You can hone your test-taking skills with the quizzes at the end of each of our lessons.
1. Genetic Disorders: Penetrance & Phenotypic Variability
Did you know that sometimes a dominant human genetic condition will skip a generation in a family? It does happen, and some dominant genetic conditions will also have a wide range of phenotypes, sometimes even within the same family. Learn more in this lesson about phenotypic variability!
2. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Test
- FTCE Biology: Basic Laboratory Concepts & Measurement
- FTCE Biology: Lab & Field Study Techniques
- FTCE Biology: Research Methods
- FTCE Biology: Science, Technology & Society
- FTCE Biology: Inorganic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Organic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- FTCE Biology: Enzymes
- FTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- FTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- FTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- FTCE Biology: Requirements of Biological Systems
- FTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- FTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- FTCE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Principles, Processes & Applications
- FTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Organisms & Viruses
- FTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Plant Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- FTCE Biology: Evolution & Social Behavior of Animals
- FTCE Biology: Human Body Systems
- FTCE Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- FTCE Biology: Reproduction & Development
- FTCE Biology: Human Reproductive Systems
- FTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- FTCE Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- FTCE Biology: Evolution
- FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Flashcards