About This Chapter
FTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids - Chapter Summary
This chapter will help you prepare for questions on nucleic acids on the FTCE Biology exam through a series of video lessons. These video lessons review the structures and functions of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA). Some of the test materials you will review in this chapter include:
- The chemical structures of nucleic acids
- Phosphodiester bonds
- Components of nucleic acids
- Double helix structures
- Differences between DNA and RNA
Along with the videos, lesson quizzes are available to help you find areas you may want to review for the FTCE Biology 6-12. The jump feature in each video's timeline will take you directly to key topics covered in the video lessons. Also, you may read over lesson transcripts to review everything that was covered in a lesson video and send questions to the video instructors for further clarification.
FTCE Biology 6-12: Nucleic Acids Objectives
FTCE Biology 6-12 is the computer-based certification exam used to certify educators wanting to teach 6th through 12th grade biology in Florida. Educators taking this exam have two hours and 30 minutes to complete 120 multiple-choice questions, 11% of which are on genetics. The lessons videos in this chapter will help you prepare for the questions on genetics by explaining the structures and functions of RNA and DNA.
1. DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
In this lesson, you'll discover what nucleotides look like and how they come together to form polynucleotides. We'll also explore nucleic acids and focus on DNA in particular.
2. DNA: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine & Complementary Base Pairing
Learn the language of nucleotides as we look at the nitrogenous bases adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine. Armed with this knowledge, you'll also see why DNA strands must run in opposite directions.
3. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
This lesson will help you to navigate the twists and turns of DNA's structure. We'll also clue you in on the amazing discoveries that put this nucleic acid in the limelight as the molecule of heredity.
4. Differences Between RNA and DNA & Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA & rRNA)
In this lesson, you'll explore RNA structure and learn the central dogma of molecular biology. Along the way, you'll meet the three types of RNA and see how the cell uses them most effectively.
5. Nucleic Acids: Function & Structure
In this lesson, we will explore what nucleic acids are, including the oozing bodily fluid they were first found in, what makes them unique from other types of biological molecules, and why DNA is called the 'blueprint of life.'
6. Recombinant DNA: Definition, Applications & Methods
This lesson is all about recombinant DNA, which is DNA that has been combined from multiple sources. If you ever wondered about GMO's or how scientists are manipulating DNA to cure diseases, this article is for you!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Test
- FTCE Biology: Basic Lab Equipment, Processes & Measurements
- FTCE Biology: Research Methods
- FTCE Biology: Science, Technology & Society
- FTCE Biology: Inorganic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Organic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Enzymes
- FTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- FTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- FTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- FTCE Biology: Requirements of Biological Systems
- FTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- FTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- FTCE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Principles, Processes & Applications
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- FTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Organisms & Viruses
- FTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Plant Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- FTCE Biology: Animal Systems, Behavior & Interactions
- FTCE Biology: Overview of the Human Body
- FTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- FTCE Biology: Components of Florida's Ecosystems
- FTCE Biology: Evolutionary Mechanisms
- FTCE Biology: Origins of Life on Earth & Taxonomy
- FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Flashcards