About This Chapter
FTCE Biology: Organic Compounds - Chapter Summary
Watching the video lessons in this chapter can help you review material on the structures and functions of organic molecules as you prepare for the FTCE Biology 6-12 exam. Some of the topics that will be covered include:
- Functional groups of organic molecules
Along with these videos, you may take quizzes to determine what topics to review for the FTCE Biology 6-12 exam. Use the timelines built in to the videos to go directly to key topics in the video lessons or ask our expert instructors any questions you may have. As an alternative study method, you can read over lesson transcripts for each video.
FTCE Biology 6-12: Organic Compounds Objectives
Sixth through twelfth grade biology teachers in Florida are required to take the FTCE Biology 6-12 for certification. This is a computer-based exam in which test takers are given two hours and 30 minutes to complete roughly 120 multiple-choice questions. Fourteen percent of those questions are on the organic and inorganic chemical processes of life. The lessons in this chapter can help you review the material covered by questions on the organic chemical processes.
1. Structure and Function of Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are found in many foods that we eat and may be found as sugars, starches, or fiber. Learn more about these three distinct types of carbohydrates, and how they are distinguished through their chemical structures in this lesson.
2. Structure and Function of Lipids
Molecules called lipids have long hydrocarbon chains that determine the way they act. They can be fats, oils, or hormones, and even exist in our cell membranes. Learn more about the chemical structure and biological function of various lipids in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Test
- FTCE Biology: Basic Laboratory Concepts & Measurement
- FTCE Biology: Lab & Field Study Techniques
- FTCE Biology: Research Methods
- FTCE Biology: Science, Technology & Society
- FTCE Biology: Inorganic Compounds
- FTCE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- FTCE Biology: Enzymes
- FTCE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- FTCE Biology: Cell Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Cells
- FTCE Biology: Cell Communication
- FTCE Biology: Requirements of Biological Systems
- FTCE Biology: Cell Cycle & Division
- FTCE Biology: DNA Replication
- FTCE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Principles, Processes & Applications
- FTCE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- FTCE Biology: Prokaryotic Organisms & Viruses
- FTCE Biology: Protists, Fungi & Plant Biology
- FTCE Biology: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- FTCE Biology: Evolution & Social Behavior of Animals
- FTCE Biology: Human Body Systems
- FTCE Biology: The Nervous, Immune & Endocrine Systems
- FTCE Biology: Reproduction & Development
- FTCE Biology: Human Reproductive Systems
- FTCE Biology: Ecological Principles & Processes
- FTCE Biology: The Origin of Life on Earth
- FTCE Biology: Evolution
- FTCE Biology Grades 6-12 Flashcards