About This Chapter
FTCE Chemistry: Chemical Reactions - Chapter Summary
The Chemical Reactions section of this FTCE Chemistry course is designed to assist you in studying for the actual exam. The video lessons contained in this chapter will provide a thorough review of chemical reactions and chemical kinetics. These lessons and the self-assessment quizzes are given so you can review at your own pace before the testing day arrives. The Chemical Reactions chapter covers the following topics:
- Rate of a chemical reaction
- Collision theory
- Activation energy and catalysts
- Reaction mechanisms
- Reaction rate and equilibrium constants
The timeline provided right below the video gives you easy access to any section you feel needs your extra attention as you take the steps necessary to teacher certification. If you are having trouble studying any of the content, our team of experts is available directly from the lesson with one simple click. They will be ready to answer any questions you have regarding chemical reactions.
FTCE Chemistry: Chemical Reactions Chapter Objectives
The Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE) is given to certify teachers of chemistry in the state of Florida for grades six through twelve. The content involving chemical reactions is combined in a section with stoichiometry, and this collection amounts to twenty-one percent of the exam. Like all of the test, this section will consist entirely of multiple-choice questions.
1. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Effect of Temperature
Learn how temperature affects reaction rates. Discover the rate law as well as how the Arrhenius equation relates to the rate law and predicts the effect of temperature on the rate of reaction.
2. Collision Theory: Definition & Significance
This lesson will define and explain collision theory and explore how it is related to chemical reactions and reaction rates. So if you've ever wondered how two particles combine to form a new product, read on!
3. Activation Energy and Catalysts
Learn how to define activation energy and how it relates to a reaction's energy. Learn what an activated complex is and where it fits into an activation energy diagram. Discover how a catalyst works to change the activation energy of a reaction and what this means to metabolism in the body.
4. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
5. Chemical Kinetics, Reaction Rate Constant & Equilibrium Constant
Are formulas, rate constants, and chemical reactions getting you down? Don't worry, this lesson will explain how reaction rate and equilibrium constants are related to chemical reactions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Chemistry 6-12 (003): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Chemistry Test
- FTCE Chemistry: Scientific Research Basics
- FTCE Chemistry: Measurement
- FTCE Chemistry: Lab Equipment & Techniques
- FTCE Chemistry: The Nature of Matter
- FTCE Chemistry: Gases
- FTCE Chemistry: Solutions & Solubility
- FTCE Chemistry: Interactions of Energy & Matter
- FTCE Chemistry: Bonding & Molecular Structure
- FTCE Chemistry: Stoichiometry
- FTCE Chemistry: Equilibrium
- FTCE Chemistry: Acid-Base Chemistry
- FTCE Chemistry: The Periodic Table
- FTCE Chemistry: Atomic Theory & Structure
- FTCE Chemistry 6-12 Flashcards