About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the FTCE math exam with lessons that explore derivatives and derivative rules, including using limits to calculate derivatives, the linear properties of derivatives, and calculating derivatives of trigonometric, polynomial, and exponential equations. In addition, the steps involved in using the chain rule to differentiate complex functions, differentiating factored polynomials, and when to use the quotient rule will be discussed. You'll also cover:
- Ways to analyze and calculate higher order derivatives with graphs
- How to calculate derivatives of inverse trigonometric functions
- Method for using the rules of differentiation to calculate derivatives
- Related rates
Our expert instructors explain each subject through short, engaging video lessons. The timeline tabs can be used to skip directly to main subjects within the video lessons. Self-assessment quizzes and the chapter exam allow you to gauge your understanding and retention of lesson material.
1. Using Limits to Calculate the Derivative
If you know the position of someone as a function of time, you can calculate the derivative -- the velocity of that person -- as a function of time as well. Use the definition of the derivative and your knowledge of limits to do just that in this lesson.
2. The Linear Properties of a Derivative
In this lesson, learn two key properties of derivatives: constant multiples and additions. You will 'divide and conquer' in your approach to calculating the limits used to find derivatives.
3. Calculating Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions
The trigonometric functions show up almost everywhere that you have a repeating pattern. In this lesson, learn how to find the derivatives of the trigonometric functions.
4. Calculating Derivatives of Polynomial Equations
Polynomials can describe just about anything and are especially common in describing motion. Learn the tricks to quickly finding the derivatives of these ubiquitous functions.
5. Calculating Derivatives of Exponential Equations
Earth's population is booming! But why is the population increasing so much more drastically than it did many years ago? In this lesson, learn how to calculate the rates of change in exponentials by discovering the rules of derivatives with exponents.
6. Using the Chain Rule to Differentiate Complex Functions
If you've ever seen a complicated function, this lesson is for you. Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions, for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn how to use the chain rule to simplify nesting equations.
7. Differentiating Factored Polynomials: Product Rule and Expansion
Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn what happens to derivatives when you multiply functions together.
8. When to Use the Quotient Rule for Differentiation
Lo D Hi minus Hi D Lo, all over the square of what's below! Learn the quotient rule chant for differentiating functions that take the form of fractions in this lesson.
9. Understanding Higher Order Derivatives Using Graphs
The derivative is a rate of change, like velocity. What happens, though, when your velocity - that is, your rate of change - is changing? Explore the changing changes in this lesson.
10. Calculating Higher Order Derivatives
Differentiating functions doesn't have to stop with the first or even second derivative. Learn what a mathematical jerk is as you calculate derivatives of any order in this lesson.
11. How to Calculate Derivatives of Inverse Trigonometric Functions
Like a metronome, trigonometric functions are regular. Even predictable. In this lesson, you will learn how to use this predictability to remember the derivative formulas for these common functions.
12. Applying the Rules of Differentiation to Calculate Derivatives
In this lesson, we'll review common derivatives and their rules, including the product, quotient and chain rules. We'll also examine how to solve derivative problems through several examples.
13. Related Rates: The Draining Tank Problem
Grab an empty cup and pour some water into it. In this lesson we will watch how the height of the water changes as we learn about related rates of change and learn how to solve the draining tank problem.
14. Related Rates: The Distance Between Moving Points Problem
Remember the classic problem of math horror stories everywhere? You know, where one train leaves Kentucky at 2 p.m. and another leaves Sacramento at 4 p. m.? In this lesson, tame the horror and learn how to solve these problems using differentiation and related rates.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards