About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Complex Numbers - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes lessons on complex, imaginary and unrelated numbers. You can get a better understanding of De Moivre's formula and polar form conversion as well as the formula for subtraction of complex numbers. Once the process of performing various operations with complex numbers is second nature to you, you'll have a good change of answering the FTCE Math examination's related questions accurately. Review the videos for comprehensive assistance with:
- Defining imaginary numbers and explaining their origins
- Dividing, adding, subtracting, multiplying and graphing complex numbers
- Converting complex numbers to polar or vector form
Learn from professionals who have secondary degrees in mathematics while you get ready to take the FTCE Math examination. The videos could last anywhere from five to eight minutes on average. Take our lessons with you anywhere as long as you have a mobile device and Internet access. The short quizzes can help you gauge how much you're learning while identifying any areas that you should study further. You may also ask questions by utilizing the ask-an-expert feature.
1. What is an Imaginary Number?
The imaginary number 'i' is the square root of -1. Although this number doesn't actually exist, pretending that it does allows us to do a bunch of crazy math that scientists use every day. Learn the basics of that number 'i' here!
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Complex Numbers
Knowing that complex numbers exist is the first step. But that knowledge alone won't help you do much with them. Learn the basics of complex number addition, subtraction and multiplication here!
3. How to Divide Complex Numbers
While adding, subtracting and multiplying complex numbers is pretty straightforward, dividing them can be pretty tricky. It comes down to the process of multiplying by the complex conjugate. Learn about what that is, and how to do it, here.
4. How to Graph a Complex Number on the Complex Plane
Graphing complex numbers is pretty straight forward, but it's not necessarily intuitive. Check out this lesson to learn the vocabulary and the conventions that you'll need.
5. Complex Numbers in Polar Form: Process & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert complex numbers from rectangular form to polar form easily by following the formulas you will see here. You will also learn how to find the power of a complex number.
6. Representing Complex Numbers With Vectors
In this lesson, we will explore complex numbers and vectors, and we will look at how these two concepts, though seemingly unrelated, work together by representing complex numbers with vectors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards