About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Conic Sections - Chapter Summary
The fundamentals of conic sections are discussed throughout this chapter. Explore each one with the goal of improving your ability to solve equations that contain hyperbolas, ellipses and foci. You'll have time to practice what you're learning before you apply your skills on the FTCE Math examination. When you complete this chapter's lessons, you could:
- Describe a parabola's focus and directrix
- Solve a parabola when you know the focus and directrix
- Define ellipse and hyperbola
- Find the equations of ellipses and hyperbolas when the foci is given
- Calculate a circle's equation
- Complete practice problems with conic circles
As your knowledge of these concepts grows, so should your chances of correctly answering questions about conic sections during the FTCE Math examination. Taught by mathematics experts, the educational lessons include transcripts that provide relevant information and step-by-step instructions, quizzes that test your understanding, and worksheets of your quiz answers that can be printed to paper.
1. The Focus and Directrix of a Parabola
In this lesson, we will review what a parabola is, then we will look at the formal definition of a parabola, introducing the focus and directrix of a parabola. We will look at some examples to help solidify our understanding of these concepts.
2. Finding the Equation of a Parabola from the Focus and Directrix
A parabola is the familiar shape seen in many physical applications, like the path taken by a ball thrown upwards. This lesson explores equations for the parabola and shows how they may be obtained from two quantities: the focus and the directrix.
3. Foci and the Definitions of Ellipses and Hyperbolas
In this lesson, we'll look at the definition of an ellipse and a hyperbola. We'll use the foci of each of these to define them technically and formally, and we'll look at some examples to make the definitions more understandable.
4. Derive the Equation of an Ellipse from the Foci
In this lesson, you're going to learn the definition of an ellipse and foci, the standard forms of the equation for an ellipse, and how to find such an equation when given the foci.
5. Derive the Equation of a Hyperbola from the Foci
This lesson will go over what a hyperbola is and walk through the steps of finding the equation of a hyperbola given just the foci and vertex. After learning the process, we will look at an example of finding a hyperbola equation given this information.
6. How to Find the Equation of a Circle
There are two commonly used forms of equations for a circle, in this lesson we'll take a few minutes to examine and understand both forms, and be able to convert from one to the other.
7. Practice with the Conic Sections
Conic sections are shapes created by cutting through a 3D cone. In this lesson, learn how to identify each conic section from its graph and characteristic equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards