About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry - Chapter Summary
You can use the lessons in this chapter to pick up different strategies for solving coordinate problems. Some topics you will have the chance to look over for the exam include:
- Coordinate planes
- Ordered pairs
- Using the midpoint formula
- Finding the distance between two points
- Finding the distance between a point and a line
- Steps used to find the distance between parallel lines
- Using plotted data to solve word problems
Experience a new understanding of coordinate-related information by using the lessons in this chapter. They are short videos that can help you quickly review material that is covered on the FTCE Math exam. Thanks to video tags, moving through each lesson won't be difficult. Whether you are looking to learn new things or review concepts you already know about coordinates, this chapter will come in handy.
1. What is a Coordinate Plane? - Definition, Quadrants & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn what a coordinate plane is and some coordinate plane terminology. You'll also see a few examples of coordinate planes in action. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
3. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
4. How to Find the Distance Between Two Points
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the distance between any two points on the coordinate plane. Learn what information you and how to plug them in to your formula.
5. How to Find the Distance Between a Point & a Line
Finding the distance from a point to a line is useful in many science and engineering applications. In this lesson, we calculate this distance using a formula, as well as with some fundamental concepts from geometry and algebra.
6. How to Find the Distance Between Parallel Lines
Parallel lines are very common features in architecture and construction. We see them in ladder rungs, railroad tracks and city streets. In this lesson, we'll use algebra and geometry to find the distance between parallel lines.
7. Solving Word Problems with Plotted Data on a Coordinate Plane
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems that involve plotted points on a coordinate plane. Learn how to choose the right points that will answer your question.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards