About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics - Chapter Summary
This series of short, engaging lesson videos will help you prepare for exam questions on the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) Mathematics exam that involve measures of central tendency, data set distribution and linear transformations of data sets. Follow along with our professional instructors as they explain how to find and analyze these properties of data sets. After these lessons, you should have a better understanding of:
- Measures of central tendency including the mean, median and mode
- How to calculate the range of a data set
- Measures of dispersion and skewness
- Different ways of assessing the spread of data
- The use of linear transformations on data sets
These lessons are mobile-device compatible so that you can watch them even when you are away from your computer. In addition to these lesson videos, this chapter includes a series of transcripts. These written overviews of the lessons reinforce your retention of the information presented. Test your understanding of the material and discover topics you still may want to study further by taking the short quizzes.
1. What is the Center in a Data Set? - Definition & Options
Finding the center in a data set can sometimes be a little confusing. This lesson will help you determine the correct method for finding the center in a data set, and when you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
2. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
3. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
4. The Mean vs the Median: Differences & Uses
Most people can find the mean and the median of a data set, but do you know when to use the mean and when to use the median to describe the information?
5. Measures of Dispersion and Skewness
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can describe your data using two different statistical characteristics. Learn what it means for your graph to have variability and what it means for your graph to be skewed.
6. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
7. The Effect of Linear Transformations on Measures of Center & Spread
Linear transformations can be a great way to manipulate and analyze data. This lesson will show you how those transformations affect the center and spread of data.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards