About This Chapter
FTCE Math: Foundations of Geometry - Chapter Summary
In order to review and remember important concepts and laws that pertain to geometry for the FTCE Math exam, look through each lesson in this chapter. They are designed to help you quickly cover topics that include:
- Euclidean geometry
- Euclid's axiomatic geometry
- Deductive and inductive reasoning
- The axiomatic system
- Geometric figures and their properties and postulates
- Algebraic laws and geometric proofs
- Undefined terms of geometry
Acquire the right tactics for dealing with geometry-related material on this exam by utilizing our resources. Each one of our video lessons averages around 5-10 minutes in length, and they are designed to help you learn in an effective, fun manner. You might also want to use our self-assessment quizzes, as they can help you quickly assess how much material you picked up from this chapter.
1. Euclidean Geometry: Definition, History & Examples
The lesson will explore the history and nature of Euclidean geometry, including its origins in Alexandria under Euclid and its five postulates. Its influence on the work of other mathematicians will also be covered.
2. Euclid's Axiomatic Geometry: Developments & Postulates
Learn how the way we do proofs in geometry had its start with Euclid in this video lesson. Learn about his contributions to the geometry we know today. Also learn about the five basic truths that he used as a basis for all other teachings.
3. Inductive & Deductive Reasoning in Geometry: Definition & Uses
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn how important inductive and deductive reasoning is in the field of mathematics, especially when dealing with proofs in geometry. Learn how these two fundamental forms of reasoning give rise to formal theorems.
4. The Axiomatic System: Definition & Properties
Learn what kinds of things are included in an axiomatic system in this video lesson. Also learn why consistency, independence, and completeness are important in axiomatic systems.
5. Properties and Postulates of Geometric Figures
In geometry, there are some basic postulates that are relied upon as the basis for other theorems. Watch this video to learn about the postulates that deal with points, lines, and planes.
6. Algebraic Laws and Geometric Postulates
Watch this video to learn about the basic algebraic laws that are also part of the basic geometric postulates that form the basis for the geometry that we know and study today.
7. Geometric Proofs: Definition and Format
Do you have something to prove? Can you explain why? In this lesson, we'll learn all about geometric proofs, including the parts that comprise a proof.
8. Undefined Terms of Geometry: Concepts & Significance
What do points, lines, planes, and sets have in common? Watch this video lesson to find out what they are, what they look like, and why they are called undefined terms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Mathematics 6-12 (026): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Math Test
- FTCE Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- FTCE Math: Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Linear Inequalities
- FTCE Math: Absolute Value Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- FTCE Math: Ratios & Proportions
- FTCE Math: Rational Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Radical Expressions & Equations
- FTCE Math: Complex Numbers
- FTCE Math: Quadratics
- FTCE Math: Polynomials
- FTCE Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Equations
- FTCE Math: Vector Operations
- FTCE Math: Sequences & Series
- FTCE Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- FTCE Math: Functions
- FTCE Math: Piecewise Functions
- FTCE Math: Area & Perimeter
- FTCE Math: Surface Area & Volume
- FTCE Math: Lines & Angles
- FTCE Math: Geometric Construction
- FTCE Math: Properties of Triangles
- FTCE Math: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Right Triangle Proofs
- FTCE Math: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- FTCE Math: Circles & Arcs
- FTCE Math: Conic Sections
- FTCE Math: Coordinate Geometry
- FTCE Math: Transformations in Geometry
- FTCE Math: Trigonometry
- FTCE Math: Overview of Statistics
- FTCE Math: Data Analysis & Statistics
- FTCE Math: Regression & Correlation
- FTCE Math: Graphic Representations of Data
- FTCE Math: Sampling in Statistics
- FTCE Math: Probability
- FTCE Math: Limits
- FTCE Math: Rate of Change
- FTCE Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- FTCE Math: Graphing Derivatives
- FTCE Math: Integration & Integration Techniques
- FTCE Math: Integration Applications
- FTCE Math: Mathematical Reasoning
- FTCE Math: Teaching Strategies & Methods
- FTCE Math: Assessing Student Learning
- FTCE Math: Manipulatives & Models in the Classroom
- FTCE Math: Problem-Solving Strategies
- FTCE Mathematics 6-12 Flashcards